Brakes check on Taxi Checklist ?

pressure and look at the brake pressure gage BEFORE taxiing the aircraft. This would alleviate testing the brakes whilst taxiing.

That makes a lot of sense because once you start rolling there is no way of knowing if your brakes work and you might hurt the pax's feelings if you use them.

Honestly it's one of those items that is left over from the early days of aviation. Same with flight control checks since you can't actually see the control surfaces move. I just do what the SOP says.

Interesting.

Im sure the checklists are current. No chance they have revised those in awhile. There is so much stuff at CJC that is not done as it is said to be done in the CFM.

How many times did I do a flaps 15 take off in the sim? Never. How many in real life? About 5 or 6. Pretty bad when you are 5 minutes prior to take off and you and the Captain are trying to figure out the call outs for a procedure you have never done.

My first time touching the brakes is pretty funny. In the sim, we weren't really taught how to slow down after landing. So we would just throw it into reverse, jam brakes on full force and that was that. The 2nd leg of IOE I had 2 check airmen with me. So I was nervious and it was my first time as the PF. We are coming in to Charlottesville and as I seem to remember my approach was fairly decent, except for the 500' gain when flaps 15 were added. We touch down on the runway and what do I do? I struggle to bring the PLs over the gate and I lightly tap on the brakes, with the intent to jam them on. Just as I go to tap them the CA shouts to get off the brakes. I bring the PLs over the gate and throw it into reverse, which we didnt need. The CA apologized after we taxiied off the runway, he forgot to tell me not to touch the brakes after landing because he had been doing CA upgrades for awhile and hadnt had a new FO. He went on to tell me that you basically never touch the brakes as an FO and that you rarely even need brakes.

I just remember how even that 1/2 second tap of the brakes at what must have been just under 100kias, our heads flew forward. Haha

Since then I have only ever touched the brakes when the captain gets up to take a piss during a single engine turn, and once the other night to see how the brakes felt in the snow.

Same on the Dash. FO, you don't touch the brakes at all at landing -- just power levers to disc. As a captain you still hardly touch the brakes. PM calls 60 kts, captain says 'You have the tops, I have the bottoms' and takes the tiller and brakes and power quadrant but the only time you need to use the brakes really is if you have to take a reverse hispeed.

I'm afraid if I transition to the jet I'm going to forget to use the brakes when landing.

Back