Bombardier launches the C-Series!

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
Not sure if this has been posted already.

Bombardier is trying to grow up fast, and take on the big boys.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080713/britain_canada_bombardier.html

AP
Canada's Bombardier launches new planes
Sunday July 13, 3:17 pm ET
By Emma Vandore, AP Business Writer Bombardier launches new range of aircraft to compete with Boeing and Airbus

FARNBOROUGH, England (AP) -- Canadian planemaker Bombardier Inc. issued a challenge to bigger rivals Boeing Co. and Airbus with the launch a new aircraft range on Sunday.
The C-series aircraft will carry 110-145 passengers and is designed to compete against the aging Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 jets -- as well as the 98-114 seat ERJ 190 by regional jetmaker Embraer, or Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica SA.

Bombardier's largest plane currently flying, the CRJ-900, has a maximum of 88 seats.

The launch on the eve of the Farnborough air show in southern England marks the Canadian company's entry into a key market for Airbus and Boeing.

GREAT! A CRJ-1000! O man, I would fly that thing for $15/hr just because its a new jet!:sarcasm:

In all seriousness I hope they design a jet with some real motors and more space. The -900 is a good looking plane in my opinion but the need for more interior space is even more apparent. We shall see I guess...

My biggest hope is simple...

MAINLINE PILOTS FLY THEM!

GREAT! A CRJ-1000! O man, I would fly that thing for $15/hr just because its a new jet!:sarcasm:

In all seriousness I hope they design a jet with some real motors and more space. The -900 is a good looking plane in my opinion but the need for more interior space is even more apparent. We shall see I guess...

My biggest hope is simple...

MAINLINE PILOTS FLY THEM!

. . .yea, the CRJ-1000 is already in production.

Bombardier is trying to grow up so to speak with the new C-Series, and wanting a piece of Boeing and Airbuses bread and butter. That being that 110-145 seat market.

Think 737, or A320 series competitor.

Also, seating 110-145 ppl, under todays scope. You'd better believe they'd only be flown by mainline pilots. Least here in the states.

http://bombardier.com/en/aerospace/products/commercial-aircraft/cseries?docID=0901260d800091e6

I'm not sure this is a good idea. You've got airlines throughout the world losing money and you want to introduce a new jet?

Unless it's a complete game changer, which does not appear to be at first glance, why do it?

On top of that, you've got airlines with lots of 737s and A320s they may be sending to the desert. They are reducing capacity, which means they need less, not more airplanes.

So, what's the edge? What does Bombardier provide that Boeing, Airbus, and Embraer are not already providing? Why should an airline add a new airplane to its fleet when that means added costs and complexity?

I doubt they're focusing on the North American market. I was up in Seattle 2-3 months ago and the delivery lineup at the Boeing facilities was entirely foreign airlines except for one Continental 737-900ER.

Tony, two words: China and India.

Odds are those are the target markets here. China's already got tons of -200s flying, and they might be going full all the time. If Bombardier can beat Embraer, Boeing and Airbus to the punch in those two countries, well, they stand to make a lot of $$$.

The numbers I saw show about a 35% fuel savings over the Boeings and even more over the 32Xs and the Super Jungle Jet.

If I was an airline operating older 737s which have had a great deal of success I would simply order an NG series. Same with Airbus aircraft.

I sense a bit of a.net dork in you Max.

Ha, just a bit. But, I don't own any legos, and I don't build airports.

Besides. coa787 guy surpassed me in airline dorkdom, long ago. That guy knows alot!

...but, probably doesn't get laid half as much as I do. So I still win!!!

Tony, two words: China and India.

Odds are those are the target markets here. China's already got tons of -200s flying, and they might be going full all the time. If Bombardier can beat Embraer, Boeing and Airbus to the punch in those two countries, well, they stand to make a lot of $$$.
I completely forgot about those two markets. I think Embraer has a plant for building 145's in China right now.

Nice looking airplane and roomy cockpit, but I hate the idea of the joystick. I'm hoping that is just an idea and not finalized. Damn Airbus for bringing joysticks into airliners!

Tony, I think you're underestimating the importance of this part of the market. DAL has been talking for years about wanting a 100-seat aircraft. AirTran is also looking for something in the 90-110 seat market that is more efficient than current offerings. We've been waiting patiently for Boeing to finally come out with their design that they keep promising, but maybe Bombardier might steal their market share now. Personally, I found the CRJ to be every bit as reliable as the Boeing product, and I would have no problems with going back to flying a Bombardier aircraft (so long as they get rid of that damned joystick! :D )

Rumors of the much ballyhooed "100 Seat Aircraft" at Delta always comes up around when they want us to vote "yes" on something.

Does look like a nice cockpit, no doubts.

I do believe this size of aircraft has the potential to be another 'game changer'. This time around, we will see what happens with scope. Two possibilities I see happening here in the good ol' US of A with respect to mainline ops...

• They will be flown by what is left of the current regional market in a few years time. Scope will have been given up and what is left of the legacy carriers will be doing purely international, transcon, and hub to hub. The 'regionals' will have moved into the current Guppie and small Airbus market and will be competing directly against LCCs in some markets for the remaining legacy carriers at cheaper rates. The better jobs that 'could have been', will not 'be'. Sad, but a realistic option if we are not careful.

or

• Scope will be retained by the legacy carriers and all will be peachy :) Ok, maybe not all will be 'peachy' but hopefully these will be the new entry point for new hires at the legacy carriers and will be good jobs to have.
Let us hope the future drivers of these airplanes are paid what they deserve. I also agree with PCL_128 that some of the current LCCs would love to get these on property. They need some more efficient aircraft as well to keep their business models running successfully.

Nice looking airplane and roomy cockpit, but I hate the idea of the joystick. I'm hoping that is just an idea and not finalized. Damn Airbus for bringing joysticks into airliners!

I take it you have flown side sticks? What are your reasons for such strong dislike?

Back