Boeing and NAI

Der rote Baron

For me the following step is really unusual. What will be next, supporting Al Baker against Delta?

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs....cal-stand-over-air-service&template=MobileArt

Boeing is officially frustrated with opposition from the Machinists union and U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen to Norwegian Air’s plans to expand flights to and from the U.S. via a subsidiary.

Boeing leadership is concerned that the opposition could put future airplane orders at risk.

The position of Larsen and the union is “disappointing” and could “have the effect of undermining growth in aerospace jobs here in Washington state,” Boeing spokesman Paul Bergman said. “We hope they reconsider their positions and join in growing the aerospace sector.”

Boeing typically does not take public positions on political issues. So, measured as the language is, it is dramatic for the aerospace company.

Bigger economic issues are at stake, say Larsen and officials with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. The union’s District Lodge 751 represents more than 30,000 Boeing workers in Washington. Norwegian Air wants to operate low-cost flights between the U.S. and Ireland through its subsidiary, Norwegian Air International (NAI). The U.S.-European Union Open Skies Agreement allows any airline based in the U.S. or E.U. to fly between any points in the E.U. and U.S.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has tentatively approved NAI’s application to operate transatlantic flights.

But critics say NAI is based in Ireland only to skirt stricter U.S. and European labor laws. In April, Larsen and three other members of Congress submitted legislation — House Bill 5090 — to block DOT approval.

The Open Skies Agreement prohibits its use to undermine labor standards, but DOT did not invoke that article in reviewing NAI’s application.

Larsen said he’s pressed the department for an explanation but with no luck.

“Norwegian Air is flying to the U.S. with Boeing planes. They’re doing that right now,” he said. “Establishing NAI in Ireland seems to be unnecessary but for one purpose: dodging labor laws.”

Norwegian Air founder and CEO Bjørn Kjos rejected the accusation in a blog post on The Hill, a political and government news website.

“NAI does not have any Asian-based cabin crew or pilots, and Norwegian has, and will continue, to publically state that only U.S. and E.U.-based crew will be used on NAI transatlantic services,” Kjos writes. “This has been committed in writing to the DOT.”

Larsen is skeptical.

“That’s what they’ve said, that doesn’t mean they will do it,” he said.

The IAM has come out against NAI’s application. District Lodge 751 is supporting its leadership.

“We’re not interested in converting good wage jobs into low wage ones for foreign workers,” said Larry Brown, 751’s political director. “We can’t allow workers and unions to be picked off here and there without realizing they’ll eventually come for us.”

Reminds me somehow about the last scene of Casablanca: "Louis, I think this is the begin of a beautiful friendship"

Boeing isn't pro-NAI. Boeing is pro selling 787s.

I believe NAI is proposed to using the 737. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were the 787 since that's built in CHS. The 737, on the other hand, affects Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe NAI is proposed to using the 737. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were the 787 since that's built in CHS. The 737, on the other hand, affects Washington.

Rate increase to 12 a month just went into affect in May. Seven are Everett built and five are Charleston built. 400 hundred deliveries and counting, including 100 787-9s.

TP

They're proposing to use 787's. Also the 787-10, will be built exclusively in Charleston, SC.

They're proposing to use 787's. Also the 787-10, will be built exclusively in Charleston, SC.
They will use booth, 787 and 737. The 737 from Cork to Boston and the East coast. The FAA certified already 3 of their 738 as ETOPS 180 compliant. There 787 are operating from LGW. There are also rumors that they will convert some of their A320 orders into A321LR.

NAI's weapon in all this will be narrow-body jets like the Boeing 737 Max 8 and the Airbus A320neo. The company has orders for as many as 350 of these aircraft in place.

While trans-Atlantic service has traditionally been operated using large wide-body jumbo jets, the narrow-body jets are cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. The first of the 737 Max aircraft are expected to enter service in 2017, while Norwegian is expected to see its first A320neos later this year.
http://www.businessinsider.de/norwegian-air-international-nai-us-2016-5?r=US&IR=T

Back