Boeing 737 With 56 Aboard Missing After Takeoff From Jakarta

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
With all that said, I still hold that the Economist is one of the last bastions of honest reporting still holding fast.
Same team, by and large. There are moments in which I recognize that the lofty Economists don't hold my best interests in their tiny little coal-colored organs-where-their-hearts-should-be. But they shouldn't. And as a general question of what's best for everyone, The Economist rarely goes far astray.

Space Monkey

Same team, by and large. There are moments in which I recognize that the lofty Economists don't hold my best interests in their tiny little coal-colored organs-where-their-hearts-should-be. But they shouldn't. And as a general question of what's best for everyone, The Economist rarely goes far astray.
Dude, they're a British rag. What could they possibly love more than Coal?? It's the very thing that made and lost them their empire, as oil is proving to be the thing that is leading us to lose ours.

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
It's the very thing that made and lost them their empire, as oil is proving to be the thing that is leading us to lose ours.
Whatever, commie. 23andme reports that I'm of 87% English descent, and I live in Coal Country. To hell with your silly little planet, we need a King! That should fix it. Smooth sailing from here.

Space Monkey

Whatever, commie. 23andme reports that I'm of 87% English descent, and I live in Coal Country. To hell with your silly little planet, we need a King! That should fix it. Smooth sailing from here.
Limey Tossin' Wanker!

What?!? Ol' King Coal?

I just recently wrote a fairy tale for the board. Please don't make me scribe nursery rhyme.

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Two hours for pushing broom
Buys an eight by ten four bit room
I'm a man by means of no means
King of the coal.
No...

Old King Coal was a merry old soul,
And a merry old soul was he;
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl,
And he called for his fiddlers three.
Every fiddler he had a fiddle,
And a very fine fiddle had he;
Oh there's none so rare, as can compare,
With King Coal and his fiddlers three

Space Monkey

...and every lock that ain't locked when no one's around!
I'll leave it here, lads...

"And I sold my soul
To the company store."

That's about all you'll EVER need to know about Coal.

And THAT is largely the reason for our current national discontent. The grandsons and granddaughters of those soul-selling progenitors HAVE NEVER recovered from the sins of their grandfathers.

Autothrust Blue

Commander Air Group, BSG-75
FWIW, I don't really give money to political causes anymore. Too easy to wind up feathering AOC's nest (or buying Bannon a yacht...the BS is bispartisan). But I do maintain active, paying subscriptions to the WSJ, Economist, and Atlantic. Best money you can spend on things that aren't bad for you, imho.
Ah, see, you are well-grounded in reality then. The Economist are appropriately condescending, as you say, but they report. While the WSJ commentariat can, like the Fox commentariat, go away and never be heard from again, the actual reporting in WSJ tends to be pretty good...just like the actual reporting on Fox News, for the 5 minutes a day they actually do reporting, is actually pretty good too.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Ah, see, you are well-grounded in reality then. The Economist are appropriately condescending, as you say, but they report. While the WSJ commentariat can, like the Fox commentariat, go away and never be heard from again, the actual reporting in WSJ tends to be pretty good...just like the actual reporting on Fox News, for the 5 minutes a day they actually do reporting, is actually pretty good too.
One of the the things I find interesting about Economist is the lack of bylines on the articles.

zmiller4

Fox News political commentary is garbage.

But natural disaster or plane crash? I’ll take fox’s actual news over any other major network.

Autothrust Blue

Commander Air Group, BSG-75
Fox News political commentary is garbage.

But natural disaster or plane crash? I’ll take fox’s actual news over any other major network.
I’m really glad I rediscovered NewsHour last year, myself. Their commentariat is reasoned and insightful, their DC and national security reporting are brilliant without being bombastic, and the reporting style is “alright, here it is, and here’s a human touch.”

mshunter

Common theme a lot of places lately, including Texas, USA. Nuevo Bizitch pilots apparently don't know how to reduce power when things go sideways... or even to recognize that they might should!!! (@wtfissamattawitdisindustrythesedays ??)
An automated airliner crashed recently in Texas?

My point is, these countries teach automation management, and put crews in airplanes that shouldn't even be driving a bus. Having dealt with a few PSI's that have horror stories who've come back from being expats, I am never getting on a foreign carrier save for about three or four of them, from Europe.

It's all rote memorization for them. When s**t goes off script, they've got no idea what to do, and frightfully ride it into the ground just like the passengers behind them.

When it's not doing what you want it to, turn it off and make it do it. I see no reason that a 737 should go into the ground at nearly 400 knots.

I've had far too many FO's look at me cockeyed when I tell them "turn it off, the airport is right there." They mismanage the automation, get behind it, and try to fix their mistake with the automation, compounding the problem. "It's an airplane. It fly's just like an airplane. Now do some pilot s***, and fix your mistake."

"C'mon man, I just want to sit here and lick the window. They didn't teach you this stuff at the school house?"

Space Monkey

It that centralization, so feared by so many, that may never happen. Like horse poop filling streets. A hyper connected world may make centralization happen in some cases and a widening of new markets or things that participate as well. The ever expanding pie we can't forsee, but our mammal brains assure us a slice won't be there for us.
The irony, of course, is that the past 40 years of "Laissez-faire, every-man-for-himself, I've got mine, F-you" combined with the current hyper connectedness is leading to a zeitgeist in which people believe that no one needs anyone. The past four years have taught us we no longer even need to pretend to.

Lads, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the big arc picture you're positing, but I think, in the near/mid future, during the, uh, "transition years", you're going to see precisely the opposite of "centralization". You're going to see continued fracturing of community. Fracturing of common cause, Fracturing of intellectual honesty. It's all ME now. It's all narcissism now. It's all vainglory and invidious distinction now.

America will fail as the protector of and sustaining force for individual freedom precisely because its people have become too damned selfish, self-absorbed and narcissistic. "The American Century" of commercial and political marketing taught Americans that freedom is the opposite of responsibility. The truth, of course, is you can't have one without the other.

The insurrectionist Twats and FacePalmBookers are already migrating to decentralized, encrypted messaging. And yes, that is a challenge to stability. That is a challenge to law and to order. That is a challenge to democracy. That challenge will likely end in a charlie fox in which those folks honor themselves and take selfies as our democracy - and they, themselves - bleed out.

Small towns don't work because the gossiping neighbors know to much. Big cities don't work because no one even knows their neighbors.
So the question I have for you is, What is the "Baby Bear" condition? What's the "just right" state?

Last edited:

GypsyPilot

An automated airliner crashed recently in Texas?

My point is, these countries teach automation management, and put crews in airplanes that shouldn't even be driving a bus. Having dealt with a few PSI's that have horror stories who've come back from being expats, I am never getting on a foreign carrier save for about three or four of them, from Europe.

It's all rote memorization for them. When s**t goes off script, they've got no idea what to do, and frightfully ride it into the ground just like the passengers behind them.

When it's not doing what you want it to, turn it off and make it do it. I see no reason that a 737 should go into the ground at nearly 400 knots.

I've had far too many FO's look at me cockeyed when I tell them "turn it off, the airport is right there." They mismanage the automation, get behind it, and try to fix their mistake with the automation, compounding the problem. "It's an airplane. It fly's just like an airplane. Now do some pilot s***, and fix your mistake."

"C'mon man, I just want to sit here and lick the window. They didn't teach you this stuff at the school house?"
There are some very good foreign carriers in Asia that I fly on frequently and have zero qualms about doing so.

Cathay
Hong Kong Airlines
HK Express
JAL
ANA (any airline in Japan is good IMO)
Singapore
SilkAir
Malaysian
Eva
China Airlines (a Taiwan airline, not mainland China)
Emirates
KAL

There are probably a few others on here that I’ve missed that are good. The only carriers I’m hesitant to fly on are pretty much any carrier in mainland China and Indonesia.

Last edited:

mshunter

There are some very good foreign carriers in Asia that I fly on frequently and have zero qualms about doing so.

Cathay
Hong Kong Airlines
HK Express
JAL
ANA (any airline in Japan is good IMO)
Singapore
SilkAir
Malaysian
Eva
Air China (a Taiwan airline, not mainland China)
Emirates
KAL

There are probably a few others on here that I’ve missed that are good. The only carriers I’m hesitant to fly on are pretty much any carrier in mainland China and Indonesia.
Three of our PSI's were instructors at two of those airlines. A lot more than a handful of my FO's taught students who went off to some of those airlines. Based on my personal experiences with those people, I ain't getting on most of those.