Boeing 737 With 56 Aboard Missing After Takeoff From Jakarta

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Are there real people still involved in journalism? I thought it was all AI & bots, and the people on TV simply actors.
Yep. They have families and pets and everything.

Seriously, though - I asked the wife (journalist who knows a lot about military aviation safety) why the aviation reporting was so bad. She pointed out that most news orgs used to have subject matter experts in various places, but cost cutting has phased them out. In broadcast, (like aviation) speed is life, so sometimes they punt because they literally don't have time to dig up the expertise they often need by the time the story has to air. So the quality suffers there. Print is better about it - especially the long-form stuff, because they can do their homework.

It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.

I’d settle for watchable/readable, without frothing hyperbole. Hard to find.
You might like Newsy - available on cable. Target market is definitely younger, but it's watchable, well-researched, and very even-keeled. Almost boring, but sticks to the facts. I've been suitably impressed with their work.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Seriously, though - I asked the wife (journalist who knows a lot about military aviation safety) why the aviation reporting was so bad. She pointed out that most news orgs used to have subject matter experts in various places, but cost cutting has phased them out. In broadcast, (like aviation) speed is life, so sometimes they punt because they literally don't have time to dig up the expertise they often need by the time the story has to air. So the quality suffers there. Print is better about it - especially the long-form stuff, because they can do their homework.
the problem with this of course is that it lends credence to the whole “fake news!” but because if they punt on one subject, who’s to say if they didn’t on another as well?

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
the problem with this of course is that it lends credence to the whole “fake news!” but because if they punt on one subject, who’s to say if they didn’t on another as well?
And of course the problem with that is that news is still a bidness. We get what we pay for, and it seems that for the most part, we don't want to pay for serious reportage. And round and round we go.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
And of course the problem with that is that news is still a bidness. We get what we pay for, and it seems that for the most part, we don't want to pay for serious reportage. And round and round we go.
Same thing you're saying from a different direction, "I want the news fastest and loudest so I can scream it at or link it at someone else!" Then they're pissed later when they were misinformed or whatever nonsense.

If anyone cared about the news being right we'd wait for the in-depth article taking 6 months.

Boris Badenov

FWIW, I don't really give money to political causes anymore. Too easy to wind up feathering AOC's nest (or buying Bannon a yacht...the BS is bispartisan). But I do maintain active, paying subscriptions to the WSJ, Economist, and Atlantic. Best money you can spend on things that aren't bad for you, imho.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
FWIW, I don't really give money to political causes anymore. Too easy to wind up feathering AOC's nest (or buying Bannon a yacht...the BS is bispartisan). But I do maintain active, paying subscriptions to the WSJ, Economist, and Atlantic. Best money you can spend on things that aren't bad for you, imho.
Says the man knee deep in cigars, bourbon, and ... (think G rating) friends.

You need to get Jen Briney and Andrew heaton into ur life, I'll give you my login if you want for a bit so you can figure out if you want that.

Audible gives you about all the WSJ you need. (psst, give me ur economist subscription)

Boris Badenov

(psst, give me ur economist subscription)
Login: PottsylvanianSpy
P/W: Notamonkey

Seriously, though, that's probably the best of the three. Authoritative, highbrow Opinion with just a delicious *hint* of trans-Atlantic toff-ish condescension and snobbery. At its best, it makes me more informed and enlightened. At its worst, it makes me trudge out to the range with the AR or CETME to work out my Libertarian Issues in a safe environment. Recommended.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!

Seriously, though, that's probably the best of the three. Authoritative, highbrow Opinion with just a delicious *hint* of trans-Atlantic toff-ish condescension and snobbery. At its best, it makes me more informed and enlightened. At its worst, it makes me trudge out to the range with the AR or CETME to work out my Libertarian Issues in a safe environment. Recommended.
That moment when you read economist confused when they say "liberal" over and over again, and you finally realize they mean classic liberal or "Free markets"
maxresdefault.jpg

Space Monkey

Are there real people still involved in journalism? I thought it was all AI & bots, and the people on TV simply actors.
There are many, many excellent people involved in Journalism. And there are many, more folks who -for various and sundry reasons- quote • either unintentionally, or, more insidiously, intentionally.

Space Monkey

That's very, er, "adaptive" of you. But you know better. So shame on you.

Space Monkey

If the speeds recorded on FR24 are anything like correct, I'd think the A/C would have had to have been largely intact. Aluminum waterfalls don't flow that fast.
Right? Even microbursts don't flow at 10k-ft/min. Broken airplanes for sure don't. Point down. Add power. ... I guess. ??

Wait... what's the MCAS sink rate?!? (prophylactic caveat: yes, I know -5s don't have MCAS)

Space Monkey

Looks like it went into the ground at nearly 400 knots. Seems to be a common theme over there.
Common theme a lot of places lately, including Texas, USA. Nuevo Bizitch pilots apparently don't know how to reduce power when things go sideways... or even to recognize that they might should!!! (@wtfissamattawitdisindustrythesedays ??)

Space Monkey

A lot of people who are fearful call truthful reporting fearmongering. See it all the time with our local covid update. A cold hard chart of new cases, active, etc. and people lose their minds in the comment section about “FEARMONGERING!!!!”
Kill the Messenger! is alive and well, and living in the heart of America.

Boris Badenov

That's very, er, "adaptive" of you. But you know better. So shame on you.
Do I? There's a balance in, uh, the balance. The fact that the people who are sort of flailingly setting up against the inevitable, rolling tide of consolidation and centralization happen in this case to be extremely ill-informed and somewhat toothless, in the aggregate, does not mean that there's no virtue in doing so. Centralization and all of the rest are inevitable at this point in human history, no doubt. But while I hate the sinner, in this case, for being, you know, just basically uneducated and wrong, I find it difficult to hate the supposed sin. With consolidation and centralization come myriad sins, unbidden. That some little poophead pulls the fire-alarm because they were smoking in the boy's room isn't a reason to turn the whole thing off. Fire is definitely still a thing.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Do I? There's a balance in, uh, the balance. The fact that the people who are sort of flailingly setting up against the inevitable, rolling tide of consolidation and centralization happen in this case to be extremely ill-informed and somewhat toothless, in the aggregate, does not mean that there's no virtue in doing so. Centralization and all of the rest are inevitable at this point in human history, no doubt. But while I hate the sinner, in this case, for being, you know, just basically uneducated and wrong, I find it difficult to hate the supposed sin. With consolidation and centralization come myriad sins, unbidden. That some little poophead pulls the fire-alarm because they were smoking in the boy's room isn't a reason to turn the whole thing off. Fire is definitely still a thing.
It that centralization, so feared by so many, that may never happen. Like horse poop filling streets. A hyper connected world may make centralization happen in some cases and a widening of new markets or things that participate as well. The ever expanding pie we can't forsee, but our mammal brains assure us a slice won't be there for us.

Space Monkey

It may be because I did not fully read the thread leading to your post, but huh? Could you
You know, that was my bad (is that too personal?) for assuming shirt about post history of which I was unaware. Unaware due to my own damned lassitude. I didn't go back and catch up on the vicissitudes of the thread... my, how they do shift quickly...

My torpor is not your own. All is withdrawn.

Yet with all apology upheld and all that said, I still hold that the Economist is one of the last bastions of honest reporting still holding fast.

Last edited: