Boeing 737 With 56 Aboard Missing After Takeoff From Jakarta

ATLTRACON(ret)

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Damn, not good. I read 7 children and 3 infants on board, sounds like a lot of families on board... :(

Looks like the 737-500 was N27610 with Continental then United and went to Indonesia in 2012, close to 27 years old. It looked like a similar track to JT610(the Lion Air 737MAX crash) so I overlaid the tracks to see. Pretty damned close. Looks like a sharp turn aback towards the airfield right before the crash from the track.

GypsyPilot

Wow, 240 pm departure. I’ve flown out of there several times, and it’s straight out over the ocean and can be disorienting at night. But pretty straightforward, particularly at day. Really sorry to hear this.

Lawman

According to one news source I just read, it only fell to an altitude of 250 feet
Are you trying to be funny or do you genuinely not understand radar resolution cells?

I’d say the number of fisherman posting/sending pictures of themselves with floating debris is a pretty good indication that the conspiracy theorist BS can go away on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Are you suggesting that this might have to do with their magnetic heading and the state of matter of what's beneath them?
LOL no wtf. Planes can crash anywhere enroute, it is just interesting to me that as infrequent as crashes are these days, 2 737s have crashed a few miles offshoreflying the SID out of Jakarta in about 1.5 years. I can't think of any other area within several miles that 2 airliners have crashed anytime in recent history.

mightynimbus

Are you trying to be funny or do you genuinely not understand radar resolution cells?

I’d say the number of fisherman posting/sending pictures of themselves with floating debris is a pretty good indication that the conspiracy theorist BS can go away on this one.

I understand it just fine, and yes I do find it funny how the journalist in the story I read framed it, and that is exactly what I posted.
Do you genuinely not understand how ridiculous reporting on aviation accidents can be?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
LOL no wtf. Planes can crash anywhere enroute, it is just interesting to me that as infrequent as crashes are these days, 2 737s have crashed a few miles offshoreflying the SID out of Jakarta in about 1.5 years. I can't think of any other area within several miles that 2 airliners have crashed anytime in recent history.
If they had 3x the number of takeoffs and landings they'd probably have one crashed in the same area every 6 months.

Richman

JC’s Resident Curmudgeon
I understand it just fine, and yes I do find it funny how the journalist in the story I read framed it, and that is exactly what I posted.
Do you genuinely not understand how ridiculous reporting on aviation accidents can be?
Are there real people still involved in journalism? I thought it was all AI & bots, and the people on TV simply actors.

Lawman

These days nobody knows anymore.

Conspiracy theorists and bad reporting on aviation by news anchors seems to have an almost complementary existence.

Not a new problem either. You can still find people to this day that will insist we shot down Flight 800 and that no plane ever hit the pentagon.

Last edited:

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Oh, yes, there are indeed.

If you didn’t see NewsHour’s coverage of the attack on the Capitol, you’re missing out.
ah the good old cynicism as an excuse for disengagement.
“Both parties are corrupt so I’m gonna excuse voting for this horrible person”
“None of the news is perfect so I’m just gonna discount all of what I don’t like”