Boeing 737 Max return to skies... then I saw this

Space Monkey

I liked the part where operators were pushing Boeing to drop the "MAX" branding for something new (they should, it's • stupid).

Not even the big-three automakers were ever so chintzy as to try to make a refit "computer-controlled carburetor" (look, it can run on flex fuel E85!). This is effectively what the MAX is. Maybe that's an artifact of the regulatory environment, maybe that's capitalism, but the 737 is going to experience depressed appeal for the remainder of its (lol!) decades. It's a flying leisure suit.
They should drop the "MAX" and add "US". Wrap it in the flag; That shirt always sells. ...Best part is, barely anyone will know it really stands for "Un-Stable".

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I liked the part where operators were pushing Boeing to drop the "MAX" branding for something new (they should, it's • stupid).
My guess is soon Boeing will introduce the next version on the 737 replacing the MAX.

That or the Super 80’s will go back into production.

stroboli62

Not even the big-three automakers were ever so chintzy as to try to make a refit "computer-controlled carburetor" (look, it can run on flex fuel E85!). This is effectively what the MAX is. Maybe that's an artifact of the regulatory environment, maybe that's capitalism, but the 737 is going to experience depressed appeal for the remainder of its (lol!) decades. It's a flying leisure suit.
Sorta like the land management agencies calling aircraft according to their contracts Next Gen

Hell, with BAe146, RJ85, B747 and DC10 flying around as large airtankers (LATs) and Very Large Airtankers (VLATs) one would already KNOW that these aircraft have been around for about 40+ years and people are always trying to rebrand Ol nearly tired whatever into something new with VOILA...a New" name. But leave it to bean counters and contracting officers to advertise what we in the aviation world as "new."

stroboli62

So much MAX hatred. How many of you have flown it?
Fair question

How about the next question: How come Boeing and it investors sunk so much into this thing and thinkin an iPad is some how equivalent to sim time?

Boeing made a 2 yr mockery out of this thing and it will be the flyin public to reduce the so called "MAX hatred."

Boeing did a fine enough job with MCAS and its software that I think Boeing deserves every bit of the "hatred" it created ....social media, and even here on JC

Im sure the Wright Bros suffered the same BITD to the non flyin non believin public

Hold on, the tin plate in my head is going offf...Orville and Wilber are calling

Skåning

346 people were needlessly murdered by Boeing, yeah eff them and their pos airplane. I know it's harsh, but people can never forget that massive loss of life for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

346 people were needlessly murdered by Boeing, yeah eff them and their pos airplane. I know it's harsh, but people can never forget that massive loss of life for no reason whatsoever.
You wanna know what’s harsh? Those airmen button pushers killed 346 people due to a lack of basic airmanship. You know, the one that says do whatever it takes to keep the nose up. Your choices are to pull up the nose via elevator back pressure and if that isn’t working, use the thumb stabilizer trim. They should have figured it out.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Just finished the MAX differences CBTs. The differences seem minimal / straightforward. The engine stuff seemed very similar to the LEAP engines I was used to on the 321NEO. Sim training will be PDX guys first and then SEA and LAX guys. I’ll probably go in for the MAX sim session in March/April.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

nimslow

Just finished the MAX differences CBTs. The differences seem minimal / straightforward. The engine stuff seemed very similar to the LEAP engines I was used to on the 321NEO. Sim training will be PDX guys first and then SEA and LAX guys. I’ll probably go in for the MAX sim session in March/April.

Looking forward to it!
I'm scheduled for MAX training shortly. Talking to guys who have done it, if you did airspeed unreliable, runaway stabilizer, and used the manual trim wheel in your initial, you have seen everything thats covered. We also get a demo of the new MCAS software.

I flew the MAX prior to the grounding, it's a nice airplane.

Space Monkey

The only thing being murdered is the English language with this grade-inflation idiocy wherein every sub-optimal thing becomes a genocide.
A fine point, and well said.

Yet, as with so many discomhyperbobulated and conflagbabulated "obervations" these days, I fear this one hinges not so much on the malapropism, but rather on failures of basic observation and analysis.

If any entities should be charged with "murder" here, it should be the companies who chose to try to save money by hiring pilots who didn't know how to fly.