Boat Crashes Into Airport Runway

Conrad

DAUPHIN ISLAND, Ala. (WKRG) — A single-boat crash in Mobile Bay late Friday night at Jeremiah Denton Airport in Dauphin Island resulted in one person dead and four others “injured” and transported to the hospital, according to a release from the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency.

According to the release and officials with ALEA, at around 11:30 p.m. Friday, July 22, a boat “struck a concrete barrier,” which is at the base of the runway that extends into the water. The crash ejected passenger Quinton E. Zirlott, 22, from the boat resulting in his death. The driver, Robert C. Zirlott, 23, was transported to Springhill Medical Center for injuries. Three other passengers in the boat were transported to USA Medical Center and treated for injuries.

DAUPHIN ISLAND, Ala. (WKRG) — A single-boat crash in Mobile Bay late Friday night at Jeremiah Denton Airport in Dauphin Island resulted in one person dead and four others “injured” and transported to the hospital, according to a release from the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency.

According to the release and officials with ALEA, at around 11:30 p.m. Friday, July 22, a boat “struck a concrete barrier,” which is at the base of the runway that extends into the water. The crash ejected passenger Quinton E. Zirlott, 22, from the boat resulting in his death. The driver, Robert C. Zirlott, 23, was transported to Springhill Medical Center for injuries. Three other passengers in the boat were transported to USA Medical Center and treated for injuries.

We really should refrain from commenting until the National Bass Anglers Association has concluded their investigation.

I wondered how in the world you crash a boat into a runway until I saw Dauphin Island...

I was landing there with a 3yr old niece in the back seat. As we were approaching to land on the "aircraft carrier" end of the runway, going through about 200 feet, she blurted out "You can't land in the water!!"

I learned to fly in the area and have landed at that airport. I still live in the area. The aiport has a good bulkhead and rock all around, as it has since the 1960's.

I cannot remember when anyone has run into it. However, local news nows says that over 3,000 people have signed a petition to have the airport lighted at night.

Well, there's something you don't see everyday.
Pretty sure nobody will be reported drunk.

It’s my experience that airport lighting precludes lighting waterways and airport lighting pretty much kills night vision on the water.
Didn't baby Jesus save the hopeless and make the blind see? Roe, Roe, Roe your boat... I'd invoke and petition the Lord with prayer on this one.

Last edited:
Back