"Blocked"

blee256

What does ATC think when people step on each other, and a pilot comes on and says "blocked"? There is a ground controller in MSP, that I have heard on several occasions b*tch when a pilot says "blocked" his response is, "dont say blocked", or "Why do you guys say blocked, it does nothing".

"on GUAAAAAAAAARD!"

fencing1.jpg

Saying ready for taxi on company freq leaving our morning push(bout 40 planes leaving at the same time in columbus will get you bout 10 "DOH's"

I've heard one controller get a tad testy (or would that be "testes?" :D ) about pilots saying "blocked".

But, for the most part, controllers just repeat what they had previously said.

Personally, it doesn't bother me either way.

Saying ready for taxi on company freq leaving our morning push(bout 40 planes leaving at the same time in columbus will get you bout 10 "DOH's"

HAHA! Same here, and it goes for anytime you talk to ATC on company! Our resident tinman seems to always get the first "doh!" out, too... I think he just waits for someone to do it. :)

Usually I'm pretty good about looking at the audio panel before I key the mic, but I have to admit, I called for clearance on company freq. yesterday morning and got a full route clearance to somewhere completely off the wall complete with an altitude of FL600 and a squawk code of 7700 from the smartass who was sitting reserve in dispatch. Doh!!!! :insane:

It's a habit I picked up from my recent instructor. I'll continue to say it, unless someone tells me otherwise. :)

the thing is that usually you can tell when a transmission is blocked. And when it is, its usually because its busy. 12 people hopping on the freq to say blocked just makes it even worse. If you miss something because you were stepped on, just say "say again for ____"

yesterday morning and got a full route clearance to somewhere completely off the wall complete with an altitude of FL600 and a squawk code of 7700 from the smartass who was sitting reserve in dispatch. Doh!!!! :insane:

AWESOME!!!! :)

Screaming_Emu said:
If you miss something because you were stepped on, just say "say again for ____"

If your mic is keyed, how would you know? :)

Blocked can also apply to a garbled transmission. Often you can tell when a transmission is blocked by a squeal or tone, but not always. So in the case when I don't hear it, or it's garbled thru interference or whatever, I appreciate a pilot telling me 'blocked'.

What really toasts my onions is the opposite, when I give an instruction, get no reply, throw him an "over!", and he says "You were blocked." How the hell do I know the transmission was blocked and didn't go out unless someone says "BLOCKED"?

HAHA! Same here, and it goes for anytime you talk to ATC on company! Our resident tinman seems to always get the first "doh!" out, too... I think he just waits for someone to do it. :)

Usually I'm pretty good about looking at the audio panel before I key the mic, but I have to admit, I called for clearance on company freq. yesterday morning and got a full route clearance to somewhere completely off the wall complete with an altitude of FL600 and a squawk code of 7700 from the smartass who was sitting reserve in dispatch. Doh!!!! :insane:

Hilarious! :D

Back