Big guns. Little planes.

Well it gives the fighter jocks a live target to practice on... so really the pilot should get to charge the US government for the training exercise.

They pay for CAP missions to bust TFR and restricted airspace all the time, just so the fighter jocks can get some practice... think about that...

OH - I didn't know that!

Would take too long. Plus, they don't know what type of aircraft it is.

Good point.

Edit: I still think about that episode of The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob takes Bart hostage at the airshow and tries to make a getaway in the Wright Flyer. The F-16s scream over and the pilots say, "Ahhh, we're going a little fast for interception here. I suggest we get out and walk." And then it cuts to a scene of the two pilots simply walking with hands outstretched toward the Wright Flyer.

Yes, but the Super Tucano is still badass.

I guess. Took em like four passes (WITH FLIR surveillance/control aircraft) to take down a twin cessna that was unarmed, slower, less maneuverable, and at an energy disadvantage. Shooting fish in a barrel isn't exactly Hero Poop.

If they used these on TFR busts, I'd be tempted to bust one on purpose.
northamerican-rockwell-ov10-bronco.jpg

That F'ing snuff film still makes me mad, just thinking about it. Free Enterprise. Avoid foreign entanglements. Riiiiiiggghhhhtt. Kill a guy in an unarmed airplane and feel like a Big Man.

Admit it - it would be fun to go tear-assing around in an armed Air Tractor blowing stuff up and having dogfights with people. I envision a Cirrus...I could shoot of a wing or something and then the smart-ass would pop the chute...then I could shoot a missile through the chute. Even if his transgression was simply flying a Cirrus I would be able to sleep at night...

All for it. In fact, sign me up tomorrow. But it's only a dogfight if the other guy can shoot back. Otherwise it's just murder, and that's not very sporting is it, hmmm, what?

There also was the A-37 that shot down the Cessna floatplane with the missionaries onboard, in Peru, IIRC.

That's a Tucano shooting down a drug runner's airplane.

I was under the impression that you were talking about the Colombian AF Super Tucano that was shot down by one of the cartels (or the FARC) this summer. Obviously I misread.

Took em like four passes (WITH FLIR surveillance/control aircraft) to take down a twin cessna that was unarmed, slower, less maneuverable, and at an energy disadvantage.

If your criticism here is that it wasn't an easy kill, my guess is that you have just about zero experience employing weapons from aircraft at other aircraft in flight.

If your criticism here is that it wasn't an easy kill, my guess is that you have just about zero experience employing weapons from aircraft at other aircraft in flight.

I most definitely have zero experience in shooting down an aircraft which has no way of fighting back. I'll keep it that way.

All for it. In fact, sign me up tomorrow. But it's only a dogfight if the other guy can shoot back. Otherwise it's just murder, and that's not very sporting is it, hmmm, what?

That's the kind of answer I'd expect from a quasi lib like you...all worried about the other guy and stuff...

I most definitely have zero experience in shooting down an aircraft which has no way of fighting back. I'll keep it that way.

I made no allusions to what the other aircraft's capabilities of fighting back might be, not expressed any opinion regarding the moral issue of shooting down an aircraft that, as you say, cannot 'shoot back'...only employing weapons from your aircraft at another, which is not so simple of a task.

It just appeared that your comment...

Took em like four passes (WITH FLIR surveillance/control aircraft) to take down a twin cessna that was unarmed, slower, less maneuverable, and at an energy disadvantage

...implied criticism of the abilities of the shooter with respect to it taking four passes, given all of the factors you list which you appear to think makes the task so simple.

...implied criticism of the abilities of the shooter with respect to it taking four passes, given all of the factors you list which you appear to think makes the task so simple.

If you read the post I was responding to (and quoted), the only criticism I can possibly read in to it is criticism of the Tucano.

I made no allusions to what the other aircraft's capabilities of fighting back might be, not expressed any opinion regarding the moral issue of shooting down an aircraft that, as you say, cannot 'shoot back'...only employing weapons from your aircraft at another, which is not so simple of a task.

It just appeared that your comment...

What would the difficulty be in this scenario? If you can, be the Tucano pilot and walk us through the shootdown - it would be neat to hear how you'd do it.

Back