Biennial Flight Review

Not unless you say, "hey dude, do you want to make this last for an hour and you sign my log book as a BFR at the same time..."
Since you are a current flight instructor and if and only if that certificate has been renewed at least once, you can forgo the hour of ground requirement via this reg.
61.56 (f) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily completed a renewal of a flight instructor certificate under the provisions in §61.197 need not accomplish the 1 hour of ground training specified in paragraph (a) of this section.

Otherwise no, 141 school do not have an auto-BFR ability.

and
61.56 (d) (d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

This one is a common mistake, but this is the reg that tells us we can not count our CFI check rides as a BFR, because it is not a pilot certificate. Like the other guy said, you can ask for a BFR at the same time though.

EDIT: sorry for sounding grumpy, I just got out of the movie Australia, it was honestly one of the worst movies I have seen in a while, and unfortunately, one of the longest too.

actually the yearly 141 review does count as a flight review. if you arent using atleast an hour on this ride, can you realy cover everything that needs to be covered. when i worked at american flyers, my two stands rides (172 and 172RG) both totaled just over two hours(combined), becuase I had to demonstrate ALL of the PTS maneuvers, so i could teach them the "standardized" way. this is why 141 schools can use more than one instructor for one student, and also why the FAA says you can get your certs. in a shorter period of time, which is why i left AF, too much pressure to sign people off who could do it when all was well, but sucked under pressure when things were going wrong. i wouldent sign some people off, and other instructors would, only to have them bust the ride multiple times. one more thing, you dont bust a 141 ride, it just counts as another lesson(complete B.S.). and when my yearly stands ride came up, the time in the 172 and 172 rg, totaled 1.7, and I recived my flight review endorsement. it dosent say that all the time has to be in the same aircraft.

actually the yearly 141 review does count as a flight review.
actually, no it doesn't. The FAA made it very clear that even a full CFI initial checkride with an FAA Inspector or DPE doesn't count. How would a 141 check? Can you show us the exception in writing for 141 schools?

Your school might have a policy of also signing a flight review endorsement as part of the 141 check. But that's not the same as automatically counting.

actually the yearly 141 review does count as a flight review. if you arent using atleast an hour on this ride, can you realy cover everything that needs to be covered. when i worked at american flyers, my two stands rides (172 and 172RG) both totaled just over two hours(combined), becuase I had to demonstrate ALL of the PTS maneuvers, so i could teach them the "standardized" way. this is why 141 schools can use more than one instructor for one student, and also why the FAA says you can get your certs. in a shorter period of time, which is why i left AF, too much pressure to sign people off who could do it when all was well, but sucked under pressure when things were going wrong. i wouldent sign some people off, and other instructors would, only to have them bust the ride multiple times. one more thing, you dont bust a 141 ride, it just counts as another lesson(complete B.S.). and when my yearly stands ride came up, the time in the 172 and 172 rg, totaled 1.7, and I recived my flight review endorsement. it dosent say that all the time has to be in the same aircraft.

Actually no, it doesn't automatically count.
He can also give you the Flight review endorsement, but if he doesn't you still need a flight review.
Riding with the Chief Pilot doesn't automatically count as a Flight Review.

Yes, you personally received a Flight Review on your ride, but you should not tell people that it is automatic, because that is the wrong definition.

"if you arent using atleast an hour on this ride, can you realy cover everything that needs to be covered."
I really don't know if this was meant to be a question or a rhetorical question, but here it goes; if it is not an hour long it doesn't count. If you have not renewed your CFI in the past 24 months, you need an hour of ground, too.

-Douglas

Wow this would have been a good topic for the "misconceptions" thread. Unfortunately I was always taught that the IFR, Commercial, CFI, and MEI check rides could double as a BFR. The CFII doesn't. I again learned something new.

Wow this would have been a good topic for the "misconceptions" thread. Unfortunately I was always taught that the IFR, Commercial, CFI, and MEI check rides could double as a BFR. The CFII doesn't. I again learned something new.

Yeah, it is a VERY common misconception, but none of the "instructor" checkrides reset your BFR date.

Pretty much everybody agrees that it's a stupid set of rules, but the Feds disagree.

And even sometimes not all the feds...This is a perfect case of "asking 2 FSDOs and getting 3 answers."

Da Man doesn't always get it right either. Just thought I should point that out

He noted that he received a flight review endorsement, so you're each operating from a different definition of "it counts".
Probably. My definition of "it counts" is that you don't need the endorsement. If the definition of counts includes "if someone is willling to write the endorsement", a whole bunch of things "count" including complex, tailwheel and high performance endorsements; even a simple checkout (I actually have seen that one).

Back