BFR-cost?

Slot Pilot

I know of a retired flight instructor in my area (retired from flying for airlines, still maintains his CFI license currency) who offered to do my BFR. He does this for people and charges "whatever you feel is appropriate"
(basically a little cash-ola under the table lol)
Anyway - what do all of you think is a fair price to give him? I think it'd be cheaper than hiring an instructor at an FBO, aircraft rental (oh I didn't mention, he owns his own airplane) - but I don't want to give up so little that he doesn't want to do this for me in the future..
any ideas of a fair price??

Gas and Lunch some where should be sufficient.
If you feel generous and additional $50.

Own or rent as an independent CFI on furlough from jet job:

50-60.00 per hr is my own rate.

:yeahthat: One hour of flight and one hour of ground = $100.

Must be the high cost of living here in CT.
One hour of flight and one hour of ground is the MINIMUM. Not necessarily the goal. Frankly I encourage pilots to get flight review "events" at least annually; a new pilot should probably see a flight instructor every 6 months.

:yeahthat: One hour of flight and one hour of ground = $100.

Must be the high cost of living here in CT.

I would charge a flat rate of $100 dollars anywhere in the lower 48, and frankly it's a steal for the student opposed to doing my hourly rate of $40/hour. With pre and post flight, one hour of flight and one hour of ground could definitely turn into 3 hours of my time i'd morally feel okay about billing, and I don't think i've ever done a BFR (Flight) logging any less than 1.2-1.5

One hour of flight and one hour of ground is the MINIMUM. Not necessarily the goal. Frankly I encourage pilots to get flight review "events" at least annually; a new pilot should probably see a flight instructor every 6 months.

Yes. The minimum is $100. I have no interest in working an hourly job for a flat rate. You get some private pilot that flies 5 hours a year and he wants his flight review in one hour? Maybe he's proficient, but probably not.

Back