Best place to be with no car?

ken8846

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out it is worth driving my car almost 1400 miles (one way) to OKC for 13 weeks... Does anyone have any input on this? Which of the apartments has the most "stuff" (stores, food, ect.) around? Will I go stir crazy without a car?

Also, I know the isola bella apartments have that huge nice gym, which theoretically is going to be important to me. Other places say they have exercise rooms, but which ones are decent?

Thanks for the input...

BTW... i was given a DEC 9th class and will be going to ROC.

bloomer

The gym at the Isola Bella is really nice but if you don't have a car it would be a downer. The only close store is a 7-11 and there are no close grocery stores or Walmarts.

bosox1207

The Faiways at Moore is conveniently located. It's within walking distance of a Chili's restaurant (as well as Sonic, Starbucks, etc.), a Super WalMart, drugstores (CVS and Walgreens), drycleaners, banks, etc.
It's on the Academy shuttle route so you don't need a car. Additionally, you get free golf at the Moore Golf and Athletic Club which is next door.

Craptastic

I was curious about this too because I am not bringing a car either and Walnut gardens has been appealing just because every one says its nice to stay and friendly and happy hour is a plus. But the fairways at moore sound more appealing if every thing is located closed by. Walnut gardens also says they provide transportation if you need to go and run errands so any one have any thing about the Walnut Gardens area?

FAA_ATC

Walnut gardens also says they provide transportation if you need to go and run errands so any one have any thing about the Walnut Gardens area?
I never heard of or saw anyone using the "Walnut Gardens Taxi Service" unless they meant the Chevy Cavalier/Chrysler PT Cruiser rentals.

There is nothing except for a gas station, liquor store, and used car dealer within walking distance from Walnut Gardens.

There is a Wal-Mart grocery store "near by", but I would not want to walk that distance carrying more than one bag of groceries.

My best advice is, if feasible, bring a car to OKC. You will be much happier being able to run to store when you want, getting to the Academy on YOUR schedule (the vans usually come 1 + hour before class starts), and just the freedom to leave the over priced apartment you are living in.

If you can't bring your car, make friends....fast.

Craptastic

I never heard of or saw anyone using the "Walnut Gardens Taxi Service" unless they meant the Chevy Cavalier/Chrysler PT Cruiser rentals.

There is nothing except for a gas station, liquor store, and used car dealer within walking distance from Walnut Gardens.

There is a Wal-Mart grocery store "near by", but I would not want to walk that distance carrying more than one bag of groceries.

My best advice is, if feasible, bring a car to OKC. You will be much happier being able to run to store when you want, getting to the Academy on YOUR schedule (the vans usually come 1 + hour before class starts), and just the freedom to leave the over priced apartment you are living in.

If you can't bring your car, make friends....fast.
Well I was referring to the pt cruisers they rent out for daily use, as far as I know no other places offer the same deal but if you have a walmart within walking distance it really doesn't matter. Honestly with the next per diem changes Walnut Gardens doesn't seem that appealing any more even with their happy hour.

WTeezy

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out it is worth driving my car almost 1400 miles (one way) to OKC for 13 weeks... Does anyone have any input on this? Which of the apartments has the most "stuff" (stores, food, ect.) around? Will I go stir crazy without a car?

Also, I know the isola bella apartments have that huge nice gym, which theoretically is going to be important to me. Other places say they have exercise rooms, but which ones are decent?

Thanks for the input...

BTW... i was given a DEC 9th class and will be going to ROC.
I had a few friends go to OKC and they said if you have a car then bring it. I leave in 2 weeks and am making that 1100 mile trip!!! (one way also)

MrFent

Keep in mind that even if there are places within walking distance, it'll be winter before you know it & who wants to be dragging a few sacks full of groceries through the snow?

Craptastic

Well one thing I thought of might be a solution for those of us not bringing cars. Walnut gardens offers a $32 studio and since you allowed up to $49.80 on housing maybe theres a way to get them to add the "rental car" fee into the housing to equal it out and you get a place and still get a way to get around OKC to do things. They put it on the government card so either way you're still paying around $50 for housing.

bosox1207

Well one thing I thought of might be a solution for those of us not bringing cars. Walnut gardens offers a $32 studio and since you allowed up to $49.80 on housing maybe theres a way to get them to add the "rental car" fee into the housing to equal it out and you get a place and still get a way to get around OKC to do things. They put it on the government card so either way you're still paying around $50 for housing.
Good thought, but I highly doubt that will fly....

ken8846

Thanks for all the input! The more I think about it, the more i'm thinking that i'll end up driving out to OKC. I'm also a little nervous that we technically only get 1 day after finishing OKC before we have to report to our facility. I'm not thinking that will be too much fun trying to drive 1400 miles in one day... I'm sure the facility mgr will take that into consideration when coming up with a schedule.

I'm still trying to decide between fairways and isola bella

Crisally07

Well I don't actually have a car, so I pretty much have to make friends really quickly. But if Fairways has a Sonic, I'm in like flynn, cuz I loooove Sonic...LOL. (and Walmart!)

Znyatc

We're only given one day to show up at our facility after training? No time to breathe.:-( At OKC, are there classes on the weekend? I have a car but I didn't plan on driving it, that's alot of driving from NY.