Best heli knowledge readings?

swisspilot

What are the best readings to get started on heli knowledge, planning to do the Heli ADD-ON CPL this summer, I found a place with a good price...

Cyclic and Collective is awesome but I'd leave it until later. There's just too much information and you may get overwhelmed quickly.

I'd start with Principles of Helicopter Flight by Wagtendonk and then read Fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots.

The RFH I won't recommend. I read it when I was working on my CFI and hated it. Tons of errors and inaccuracies, horrible explanations of important concepts etc. That was about 3 years ago, I heard they issued a new edition since then which I have not seen yet.

UPDATE: I quickly looked over the latest RFH edition and still recommend against using it as a primary text on helicopter flying.

Last edited:
x2 for Principles of Helicopter Flight by Wagtendonk! Great book!

Also, the FAA has come out with the Helicopter Flying Handbook (HFH), to supercede the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (RFH). Only information in RFH now that's still "legit" it the last bit on Gyrocopters.

No kidding.

But let’s add—

Dustoff
The Art of Flying Helicopters
ADM for Helicopter Pilots (published by www.helicoptersonly.com)
FM 1-203 (of course) although I hear they deleted everything about autorotations
Low Level Hell

Or you can just tune in and watch Valor on CW. :bounce: Or if you can find reruns of Riptide...
I like this list but had to prioritize!! :)

I like this list but had to prioritize!! :)

The question was about “heli knowledge” not “heli bad-assery.” Funny story: I was sitting at the O Club bar at Mother enjoying a Black n Tan since it was the only place in lower AL I could get beer on tap. Anyhow, somebody sits on the stool next to me. I glance over and see this elderly gentleman, a stocky fellow about 5 ft and a bit, gray high n tight. “Aren’t you...?” We started talking. Mike Novosel was a fascinating chap — from B29s to the mighty UH1.

Fast forward 20-some-odd years. I’m with my wife and daughters in the American History Museum in DC. In the Vietnam section, we turn the corner and there’s a complete Huey. My wife had been in the Army and was familiar with the Blackhawk. She asked about the Huey questioning how robust it was. I started to tell her and the girls about the mission for which MN was nominated and received the Medal of Honor AND how I had a beer with him. No sooner did I finish, and we came across an other display. This one was of MoH recipients and right there was a picture and bio of Mike Novosel.

Just a PSA @swisspilot — you’d get skewered on other boards for using “heli” :D

56A7EEDB-ACA1-424D-804E-7BFAF8F1E436.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice story. Reminds me of how old I am because I started out in the Huey...thanks.........o_O

Reading about Novosel in the museum there and seeing the main street named after him, I had imagined that he was bigger than life! New to the WO Program and to flying, I think we were all a bit enamered by his name alone. I was abosolutely amazed at just how friendly and humble he was when I had the chance to meet and talk with him. Just an ordinary guy that performed in an extraordinary manner.

Nice story. Reminds me of how old I am because I started out in the Huey...thanks.........o_O

Reading about Novosel in the museum there and seeing the main street named after him, I had imagined that he was bigger than life! New to the WO Program and to flying, I think we were all a bit enamered by his name alone. I was abosolutely amazed at just how friendly and humble he was when I had the chance to meet and talk with him. Just an ordinary guy that performed in an extraordinary manner.

The UH-1N is what gave me the aviation bug. Started working on them in 2011.... deployed with them... the next year the USMC phased them out. Absolutely love that helicopter. The twin engine stab bar version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UH-1N is what gave me the aviation bug. Started working on them in 2011.... deployed with them... the next year the USMC phased them out. Absolutely love that helicopter. The twin engine stab bar version.

I’m sure this is blasphemy in the hallowed halls of Mother Rucker, but the Marines did it right. With the last 40 years of funding used on the 60, 64, Comanche, etc, can you imagine the size of the Aviation Branch if they’d taken the same path as the Marines? Yes, I specifically excluded the 47 and 58.

We just had a West Coast Y/Z unit with a 22 pass through. Those are some impressive aircraft.

I’m sure this is blasphemy in the hallowed halls of Mother Rucker, but the Marines did it right. With the last 40 years of funding used on the 60, 64, Comanche, etc, can you imagine the size of the Aviation Branch if they’d taken the same path as the Marines? Yes, I specifically excluded the 47 and 58.

We just had a West Coast Y/Z unit with a 22 pass through. Those are some impressive aircraft.

Completely agree. Way off topic here but Sikorsky is actually slowly switching gears and becoming a "Marine Corps Company" so to speak. At this point all their doing for the army is "supporting", but no design.

Back