Best GPS

alphaone

Hey everyone,
I was wondering what the opinions were as to what the best GPS to buy was. Preferably, I would like one that obviously does a good job for aviation but also can be used in a car.

Thanks!

Price is going to be the biggest factor here. Garmin really has the aviation market with the 396/496, but your talking thousands of dollars. I have a 396, which does fantastic on the aviation side of things. The automotive mode isn't all that great, but I think it can be upgraded. You may be able to pick up a Garmin 296 fairly cheap now days.

I second the 296 idea. If you don't have to have a color display, the 196 is maybe the most economical Garmin that has autorouting, which you'll want for the car.

I use mine in the plane, in the car, and on the motorcycle. I've taken several trips on the bike from ATL to KY, TX, AR, and all over North GA, TN, and NC, using the 196 to auto route to avoid the slab. Also, if I see an interesting detour, I can try it out and let the GPS re-route for me.

These are relatively inexpensive now, I believe in the $400 range. I like having one unit to use for all situations, and if it gets stolen / smashed / lost, it wouldn't be as big a deal as it would if it was a 496.

I still love my Garmin 96c. Does the aviation stuff great. But I also use it in the car, on my bike, in the boat, hiking, camping, hunting and I have even used it to survey a fence I built.

I still love my Garmin 96c. Does the aviation stuff great. But I also use it in the car, on my bike, in the boat, hiking, camping, hunting and I have even used it to survey a fence I built.

Does it guide you up to Adam's Park?

They got money in Adam's Park.

Dunno why everyone forgets AnywhereMap.

I've got one (lots of pilots swear by them) and I really like it. They don't advertise as much as places like Garmin, but they're a solid brand. Excellent tech support and direct responses from the owner of the company.

Back