Being more patient with kids...

Hey,

I know this is an old post, but I have a different angle on the reply. I lost my little brother 2.5 years ago to a brain tumor, he was 10, I was 18. I would do absolutely anything in my power to have the opportunity to even just have him back to bug me for just a few minutes. Cherish what you have, it's a nuisance to you I'm sure as it was to me, but like they say, you never really know how good you have it until it's gone. How painfully true that saying is.

Enjoy having a lil' bro, I wish mine was still alive. And share flying with him! I only got to do that once before he passed away, but he loved it, and I wish he was still around to come with me on $200 hamburger runs...and do the million other things we were robbed off by @$%&#! cancer.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss....I know exactly how you feel though since i lost my brother at the age of 25. It's tragic and there are also a lot of things i would have done different had i known what would come.

but remember, he's always there...watching you live and enjoy your life which is exactly what you should be doing. :)

Brian - how are things going with your lil' bro? have you found a way to effectively communicate and teach while slowing down the personal brother to brother annoyance?

Like it or not, You are the kingpin in his little world. You are his BIG brother. Wear that title with extreme pride. You will not regret it. :)

Take a piece of red paper and cut it up into 20 strips. Give him the strips at the beginning of the day. Tell him if he wants to ask you a question, it will cost him a strip of the red paper. Once he's out of red paper, tell him he used them all up and he'll have to wait until the next day to ask his question.

You can also do this with a case of beer. :p

Did you try to give him some candy? Thats usually how I deal with any difficult situation with little kids. I think a lollipop would reduce the number of questions.

It's also a sign that he looks up to and trusts you. Especially since there is a 13 year difference, he most likely wants to spend time with you and wants to be just like his older brother. I see it with the interaction between my oldest son and his siblings. Whatever he is doing, they want to do. Wherever he goes, they want to go. It's almost a form of Hero worship. Keep in mind that it's a big world out there. Who better to have your six, than your brother. Keep ignoring him, and someday when you need him, he may ignore you.

:yeahthat: Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I don't think I could possibly agree more.

Now that almost 2 months have passed since you posted the original question, how has it been going? Have any of these worked for you?

If you get tired of all his ?s, tell him to go ask your parents those ?s. I've never had younger sibs but I can imagine how annoying they can be consider I was the younger sis.

..they're going to pick your nursing home. Something to think about.

Of course, I'm the one making the call to the lawyer to write them out of the will. Something THEY need to think about.

Kind of a stand off, no ?

Back