Battery Powered Airplane

skydog

Whether or not it's feasible depends on what you would want to use it for. For the purposed demonstrated in the article (personal/sport aviation) I would say that it looks very feasible.

As for its potential uses in commercial aviation I would say, for the time being, that it has limited or no feasibility. That said, one must remember that most inventions/discoveries were not made with practical application in mind. With continued R&D, I see that an electric powered airplane could be just as useful as a reciprocating powered airplane.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
787 is going with some pretty out there lithium ion batteries that will power most systems (including the brakes I just saw). Boeing seems pretty confident they'll pass certification.

wheelsup

There really is no place for an electric airplane until it can be built to similar capabilities as the current ones such as IFR and actually go a decent distance, 400 miles or so. The point of an airplane is to travel from A -> B, not tool around the patch for 45 minutes.

Sidious

There really is no place for an electric airplane until it can be built to similar capabilities as the current ones such as IFR and actually go a decent distance, 400 miles or so. The point of an airplane is to travel from A -> B, not tool around the patch for 45 minutes.

Ehh.. I think theres a market... like the guys who want to tool around the pattern for 45 minutes :)

Once the technology gets better I think it could be huge