Barbados!

Fins Up

I got "stuck" with a 25 hour layover in Barbados at the end of the month. Any suggestions on food/drink/beaches? Our hotel (The Accra) is in Christ Church.

Just caught this and going to sleep in literally 2 minutes. I will respond tommorow cause I actually know the area well. If you don't hear me by the end of the day I probably forgot and you can shoot me a PM.

Well that was my location. I go to FIT now but I lived in Barbados my entire childhood. Since you are going to be at the Accra hotel I implore you to use the boardwalk along the seashore. A great feature that has been added in recent times. I advise during the day though and not at night as it can be very dark. In terms of beaches themselves there is Accra beach (obviously :D). A great beach but is usually crowded now. If you want a less crowded setting you can catch a bus saying Bridgetown and head down to Brown's Beach...like 20mins away. They don't have the restaurants and such as Accra does though. In terms of cuisine you can always just walk across the street to the quayside centre and get some Jus Grilling. Nice place. In the plaza itself there is the ice cream shop that is pretty neat too. Lovely tasting stuff.

All I could think of at this time. Any more inquiries, hit me up.

In terms of cuisine you can always just walk across the street to the quayside centre and get some Jus Grilling. Nice place.

+1

Try the flying fish or the dolphin.

Check out the St Lawrence Gap as well. Pretty popular bar/nightlife area. It's right in Christ Church.

Barbados didn't suck at all. I did have a flying fish sandwich at the Accra Beach Hotel. It was pretty good. St. Laurence gap was nice too. Next time I'll have to take the bus to Oistin. That's supposed to be a decent place to check out too. Thanks for the tips.

Re: Barbados - FINALLY!

If anyone cares, here is the skinny on Barbados.

Most resorts are concentrated on southwest and west coasts. Southwest side is where the town of Oistins and St. Lawrence Gap are. Oistins has a Fish Fry every Friday night that is a lot of fun. Lots of good food, drink and music. St. Lawrence Gap also has lots a great food. My favorite was a place called Pisces. It's right on the water. Great ambience and the Atlantic Salmon as excellent.

Further north on the west coast is Bridgetown - the capital. This is where the cruise ships come in. Lots of shopping to be had there.

We rented a car for a couple of days. It's all English style - left side of the road, steering on right side of the car. Better stay focused. We drove up north to a place called the "Animal Flower Cave". Theses little plants retract quickly into their stems when anything approaches them. Not a huge thrill but interesting, as was taking a little dip in the pool made by the tidal water filling part of the cave.

We drove halfway down the east coast. Not much tourism over here. Very quiet and scenic. If you really want to get away, I recommend a place called the Atlantis Hotel. It's recently renovated and only has about ten rooms/suites/villas. The hotel is beautiful, the food (we had lunch there) was excellent, and the view is magnificent. Great long beaches for walks too.

We toured a place in the center of the island called Harrisons's cave. It's a 40 minute trolley ride through some very cool natural caves. I recommend it. It's a great thing to show the kids.

For water sports, I recommnd "The Dive Shop" for scuba, and "Calabaza Sailing Cruises" for snorkeling/cruising. Our divemaster (David, possibly) at the Dive Shop was excellent. Our dive wasn't all that great because he had to spend a lot of time tending to some beginners so they offered us a free dive the next day. We saw some interesting creatures and a couple wrecks on the dive. They pick you up and drop you off at wherever you're staying.

We took a sunset snorkel/cruise on a catamaran with "Calabaza". That too was excellent. We made two stops - one to see some large sea turtles and one to check out a wreck. They had plenty of food and lots of free drinks in between. We did the cruise our last night there and it was a great way to finish up the trip. They also provide transportation.

The only bad part of the whole week was the hotel. We stayed at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. The location is great - right between Oistins and St. Lawrence Gap. Unfortunately we weren't impressed with the facility itself. The bed was awful. I am a sound sleeper and am not ususally bothered by so-so beds, but by the last night, my back was really sore. Plus the a/c blew strongly on the near side of the bed only (kind of weird). So wife was hot while I was under two blankets. The interenet was terrible. It's free wifi, but we had a very hard time keeping a connection. The key they gave us to lock the door on the balcony didn't work.

Lastly, the people of Barbados are really, really awesome. Even at the hotel where we weren't too happy, they were great. If you need directions, people will gladly help you out. Crime is very low in Barbados. Everyone is out to have a good time. Or maybe they're all too stoned to pick any fights.:pirate:

That's the trip report. I highly recommend Barbados for a vacation, just don't stay at the Bougainvillea.

Crime in Barbados is so low, that the officers do not carry guns.... :) Its because of the relationships they have with their local communities, there is no need for such...

Back