Ball is in your court now

ATC1C1X1

So you're coming up real quick on 2 years of 121 with regional jets. You also have a couple of years in the aviation industry before this in other capacities. You see the boom in hiring across the board for dispatchers, you start applying. You'll probably get an offer just as fast, it seems, and the class date will be in a few weeks.

Do you make your move up to a ULCC now, or do you hedge your bets and wait a little longer in your current situation until something more interesting comes your way... maybe SWA? Your long-term goal is a legacy carrier hopefully. You hear about the probability of two, maybe three more classes at a lot of these airlines but you are cautiously optimistic on your timing. And as much as the experience sounds really awesome, you've ruled out cargo outfits because you don't want to lose your non-revving for yourself and family.

You know you'll plan on being at this next move for a year and a half at least (probably), who knows how the hiring will be by then... will it dry up and leave you stranded for a little longer than you thought? At least this ULCC is in a city you know you'll enjoy being in. But the choice is yours... what will you do?

SWA just hired a class and there is a posting for a legacy carrier (AA) right now. It is entirely possible to skip ULCCs if you want.

I guess it would depend on how happy you are at your regional and if you want to move to the city where the ULCC is (I wouldn't mind DEN). Not to mention starting at a new seniority number and chancing that your situation would improve your happiness at the new company.

I personally have mapped out entry level > regional(ENY) > major (SWA/AA) in DFW. It definitely limits which companies I can apply for but I am very happy with the situation I'm in. (Heck you could get hired at a regional shop for your first dispatch gig).

It will be different for everyone depending on their situations.

Assuming a major is your long-term goal, don’t pass up an opportunity for a major if you see one and think the city/living situation would be tolerable. Especially once you have a bit of regional experience, keep applying away when you see major openings come up. There seems to be more competition than there once was and you may only end up getting one offer.

Food for thought: Cargo did well through the first year of COVID, the Delta variant is a thing with other variants possible. We are yet to see how the delta variant pans out this fall/winter, might be ok, might be another collapse. I saw people leave my shop for a class at a major and they are back with us now because of the furloughs and canceled classes. I wouldn't rule out cargo, you'll make plenty of money to buy a ticket for your family and avoid the non rev uncertainty. It's up to your to weigh the risks, the pros, and the cons.

There will probably always be variants, and some people will probably always freak out about them, but I don’t see everything coming to a screeching halt again because of Covid. Just my opinion though

I personally have mapped out entry level > regional(ENY) > major (SWA/AA) in DFW. It definitely limits which companies I can apply for but I am very happy with the situation I'm in. (Heck you could get hired at a regional shop for your first dispatch gig).

It will be different for everyone depending on their situations.

Why would this limit which companies you can apply for?

Why would this limit which companies you can apply for?
Because I'm not looking to apply/move outside of DFW. So I'm literally boxed into the companies here. It could all work out or totally backfire.

Because I'm not looking to apply/move outside of DFW. So I'm literally boxed into the companies here. It could all work out or totally backfire.
I totally get that; Dallas is home for me and I’ve been trying to get back at every opportunity.
Maybe someday soon, commuting isn’t as fun as it was when it was new and exciting :/

Apply for what you want, don’t apply for what you don’t want. If you get an offer you want, take it. If a better offer comes along soon after, take it. Don’t hurt your head over this.

This is probably the best advice so far. When my shop closed last year I was applying for anything and everything,some of the jobs I was really excited about,others were just means to an end and probably desperation of being out of work. An opportunity came up that I was more than excited about and thought I would never get,but I’ve been in my new role for almost 9 months now and love every day of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back