Bad news from SkyWest

turbomax97

What can brown do for you?
Yeah so I quit my job at ATP 2 weeks ago, and should have left for SLC 3 days from today so start new hire training at Skywest. Got a call this morning, as did the other 20 people letting us know that class is canceled.

Looks like things are getting pretty bad - they were professional about it and said it was due to United cuts primarily.

Anyone know of any job opportunities in the Dallas area? Flying or non flying I don't really care - I just gotta get the cash flow pumping again.

Sigh.

Damn dude. Sorry to hear that :banghead:
Can you get your job with ATP back without having to start from square one?

Probably not in the DFW area. I'm looking into a few non flying jobs until things settle down a little. Craptastic.:banghead:

Well, at least I've got my 4 year degree which I can put to use.... I suppose this is a great illustration of why you get a degree in something besides aviation - for times like these. Glad I listened to guys like Doug.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully they'll get things back on track before too long. Did they indicate whether or not you'd be first to resume when they begin hiring again?

Sorry bro :(

Better days ahead though.

Glad I listened to guys like Doug.

Stop it! I'm just a crazy old bitter guy who is jealous because he had to instruct, had to fly turboprops and doesn't know what he's talking about. Bill Gates didn't have a degree! ;) :sarcasm:

Yeah I'm only snorkeling in the pool :p

On the good news though - Got an interview paying 4x what I would be making.... Interview is on Tuesday, we'll see.

It's a pretty big aviation charter company, sort of using my degree... but mainly got the interview via networking through an old student i used to mentor. I'm 90% sure that the degree + recommendation got me the interview. They are .5 mile from my alma mater. I'll post up after the interview as to what company it is - don't want to jynx it or anything :nana2:

That sucks it didn't work out for you at SkyWest

Everyone in this industry should always have a few backup plans. Especially those making moves between jobs.
Especially Now.

Yeah. Plans A-Z for sure. As soon as skywest starts classes back up it looks like i should be in the first class, but as far as when the next class will be... could be next week, could be in 3 years... I've gotta eat/ pay bills in the mean time.

I thought the latest SKW class was canceled because the hotel wasn't available during the month.
That may be the case as well but they were pretty clear that it was the united cuts that lead to class calcellation. Besides - a hotel is the smallest part of the bill for a new hire - that's a lot of sim time that gets wasted etc.

Know something more? Please ellaborate!?

Damn homie that sucks. I guess a silver lining could be that you weren't on the road when you got the call. Good thing you have a degree in your back pocket. I hope to never use my degree....Double Major Journalism + Sociology with enough teaching credits to teach either one in a high school. Booo.

Damn homie that sucks. I guess a silver lining could be that you weren't on the road when you got the call. Good thing you have a degree in your back pocket. I hope to never use my degree....Double Major Journalism + Sociology with enough teaching credits to teach either one in a high school. Booo.

I got you beat, Bachelors and Masters in History = teach or nothing

If it makes you feel any better the same thing happened to me with my class at NWA so I know how you feel. You'll be fine, just keep plugging along, updating applications, and opportunity will find you. I can't believe they only gave you 3 days notice. That's rediculous!!

Is Skywest laying off any online pilots yet? What about pilots already in classes? Looks like the industry is at famine again.

Yeah so I quit my job at ATP 2 weeks ago, and should have left for SLC 3 days from today so start new hire training at Skywest. Got a call this morning, as did the other 20 people letting us know that class is canceled.

I can't understand why they are canceling classes. I am assuming from your avatar that you were in the Bro? I just got my transfer to SLC in the bro and I have a composite line and am on reserve yesterday and today and when I tried to change something Crew support told me that they are supposed to have a minimum of 17 Bro FOs on reserve system wide at all times and today there are only five! My point is that we are still hella short on Bro FO's. Makes no sense to me. Good luck tough and keep on swimming!

Yeah that's what is surprising. At the same time - skywest is fat on jet fo's so maybe they're looking at displacements instead.

Damn, SKW too. Sorry dude. I know exactly how you feel. I was suppose to start class at another DCA carrier this past week but got my call FOUR days prior to leaving informing me it has been cancelled and that i'd be swimming in a pool. Looking at the bright side of things i'll be home with my girlfriend and friends for 4th of July now instead of a hotel room. Ahh i love this wonderful crapshoot of an industry....:sarcasm: ...NOT.....

Thank you four year degree, you are my best friend. I'm glad I have you. You are more of a friend to me than having a job slinging gear in an RJ.

Back