Back up degree?

DC10FlyBy

Hey guys, the time for college is quickly approaching.
I was just looking at some majors i'd be interested in, and i am not completely sure on any yet.

Political Science
Anthropology
Journalism

Those are my top 3 i have found at Mizzou.
What do you guys think? Are those reasonable back up degrees?

ALSO, what do you guys think of Univ. of Missouri (Mizzou)?
I am trying to get into Washington Univ. in St. Louis, but that's extremely hard, and if i can't, I'll just hit up Mizzou.
Any college recommendations? (I live in Springfield, MO btw)

Any of those three will work as long as it's something you'll be interested enough to finish out. Flew with an FO that went to Mizzou, and he liked it.

Oh, and it's a damn shame the LA Galaxy imploded AGAIN this year. I've got a feeling Donovan's not goona be long for the English Premier League at this rate.....

Study an area that is trade related!

A BS in Political Science will not position you to enter the work force if you got furloughed. Maybe consider a BS in Nursing, Radiology Technology, or IT.

Study an area that is trade related!

A BS in Political Science will not position you to enter the work force if you got furloughed. Maybe consider a BS in Nursing, Radiology Technology, or IT.

I graduate in December and I really REALLY wish I would've majored in a technical career field such as accounting, engineering or anything medical. I always figured I'd graduate from college, go to flight school to finish up my ratings and go be a pilot somewhere so it didn't matter what my major was. But in this economy I don't dare take out a loan (if it's even possible anymore) for flight training. So now I plan on working and paying as I go but without a real marketable skill it's pretty tough to get a good job in today's economy. I have a lot of friends who majored in Radiology Technology and Nursing...they're loving life right now with good paying and stable jobs. My advice is to find a technical major and be the best you can in that field.

I majored in philosophy and I'm planning on being in law school come fall of 2009, what with my current furlough.

Is it going to take me a few years to make the transition from one career to the next? Sure it is! But I'm going after a backup CAREER, not a backup JOB. You can get another job without too much of a problem, but getting a real career that's going to be worth something is probably going to take you a few more years of training and networking.

I'm looking long term with this, not the next 2-3 years.

I would still suggest to major in Nursing (RN). Everyone I know that has done their RN has a great paying job ($50-80K) or is in graduate school to be a family practitioner or nurse anesthetist.

One of my very good friends just landed a job after he did his masters in anesthesia which started him out at $200K a year. Healthcare always proves to be recession proof either as a provider or company in the healthcare business.

My strong advise is to get a degree in a technical field (trade) and not a generic degree is history, polysci, English, etc.

Take note you don't need a degree to know a trade. I grew up wrenching on computers, and could get a pretty decent paying IT job if I was in the market for one. In my mind, diversification is the name of the game, so with my experience doing tech support and server administration teamed with a degree in philosophy (pre-law) and the experience I have flying airplanes, I have three solid career tracks in front of me.

I like options.

When are we gonna go out again, merit?

Take note you don't need a degree to know a trade. I grew up wrenching on computers, and could get a pretty decent paying IT job if I was in the market for one. In my mind, diversification is the name of the game, so with my experience doing tech support and server administration teamed with a degree in philosophy (pre-law) and the experience I have flying airplanes, I have three solid career tracks in front of me.

I like options.

When are we gonna go out again, merit?

Purely subjective.

Solid career paths that are trade oriented require a technical and formal education. At my company, we won't hire you to answer phones at the help desk unless you have the appropriate IT certifications. I never knew a RN, pilot, doctor, physical therapist, manufacturing technician, or other skilled trades that didn't require a formal education. A generalized education may pave the path for one to further their education but it doesn't provide a direct entry into a field of work. No offense Train but a BS in philosophy isn't going to get you anywhere by itself.

I am game to hang whenever.

If I were doing it again I'd get a degree in Demonology so I would know how to put certain executives in a binding circle so they are no longer free to wreak havoc.

You mean the Democrat healthcare agenda?

Most physicians are terrified of the nationalized healthcare system being proposed.

I'm an independent, BTW, so no partisan undertones from me here...just an observation.

If people are no longer plunking down only a co-pay...but paying 100% of services from their savings accounts and paychecks, two things are likely: 1) people just won't go to the doctor anymore and 2) they will shop around for procedures with the best prices (here comes pricelinesurgery.com).

Under the republican's plan...affordable health care comes from introducing competition into the industry. This seemingly would put pressure on health care professional's careers. (Heaven knows what the deregulation of the airline industry did to aviation professionals.)

No doubt, the mechanics of a nationalized system would be a nightmare...but I would think it would keep more people employed at higher salaries.

BTW, my neighbor is a doctor and says that the AMA doesn't support a candidate, which I thought was unusual...if true.

<- Pmimary career: Mechanical Engineering.

Make coin doing field work for a few years, then do whatever the heck I want. Probably fly for a bit.

Do something that you WANT to do. Something that you would be happy with for 35 years if flying doesn't work out. I'm not you, so I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will tell you that the best female:male ratio is usually in the Nursing college, and the worse is in Engineering.

Sure, go into nursing. Just make sure you like it. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in a back up career you hate and be miserable. Odds are if you're miserable in your back up career, you won't stay with it anyway. I just have a problem with people saying "Go into this b/c you'll make lots of money and can get a job." What happened to doing something you enjoy for enough money to live?

Sure, go into nursing. Just make sure you like it. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in a back up career you hate and be miserable. Odds are if you're miserable in your back up career, you won't stay with it anyway. I just have a problem with people saying "Go into this b/c you'll make lots of money and can get a job." What happened to doing something you enjoy for enough money to live?

Well Steve, I think the communists did away with that when they got rid of Jesus.

I'm seriously thinking of bailing to my second favorite field of study. Psychology.

With the credit market pretty much dead there is no way that I'm going to get a loan to finish my training. Not even at my state university via federal funds. They say on that up side the credit markets *might* rebound in 2-3 yrs. Which might be the same amount of time needed as if I saved up some major coin for go debt free.

Well, thing is that I'm in school, now. I could be a graduate inside of at least 2 yrs. so doubt I'll wait things out

So I'm seriously thinking of doing psychology. Then if after I graduate if still want to be a pilot then maybe I'll simply finance my training post graduate at an FBO if it's not still too cost prohibitive.

I only have my PPL so if I make the jump I shouldn't lose too many credits with the switch in majors. This would maybe be a back up degree/field for me. Sad things is to make money in it I'd have to at least get a Masters but definitely a PH.D like moms got.

Wish me luck all!

I am going to have a certificate in Diesel Mechanics as my back up. There are some good paying jobs in that field.:)

But then again I like to tinker with engines bigger than me:D

Back