Back to Purdue!!!

Kestrel452

I just moved into Cary Quadrangle, the same dorm I stayed in last year. Although I'm not a flight major, I am taking flight classes here. See ya'all on the tarmac! :rawk:

What do you think of Purdue?

It's a really big school (overall) but feels like its a lot smaller.

The flight department is practically right on campus since the airport just touches the south border. Their flight program is tiny, only taking 60 students a year. Purdue's most competitive program is flight since it's one of the best yet so small. I cannot comment much further since I have yet to take a flight course through purdue other than private pilot ground school.

It's saddening to see these kids turn their passion into a life of misery. I really don't think most of them have any idea how much majoring in flight will kill their passion for flying. It also pisses me off how they go on blindly enabling airlines' crappy treatment of pilots. It really didn't hit home with me until I started taking AT144 this semester and saw them in person. I'd take a King Air or Citation charter job any day over an airline gig since my mainline will be law.

Hey Guys,
I am actually a freshman here at Purdue. I came in with my PPL and planned to major in pro flight tech. I too have got the feeling that this is not the best idea. I can't really gamble on the economy making a rebound by the time that I graduate. I recently switched to airport/airline management and I'm going to try to do the 3+2 program and get my master's in aviation management. Any advice?

Clay, you made a VERY wise decision. If you want to fly, I highly recommend the FBO on the field, come on in and ask about continuing on with further ratings or give us a call (I do instruct over there). I did the same thing you did, and having talked with several recent flight grads, I can't help but feel it was a good decision. If the 3+2 was around when I went through, I absolutely would have done that as well.

Keep in mind, the entire aviation industry is hurting, a lot of people I know who were in the same major still haven't found jobs. Things should improve by the time you graduate, but in this industry you never know. It couldn't hurt to minor in something outside of aviation. Get to know your professors, they are very knowledgeable and can help you quite a bit, don't be afraid to ask questions or participate in class, and go to their office hours if you don't understand something. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to PM me.

This man speaks the truth. I am training with the FBO at KLAF right now and my instructor seems to really know his stuff. Purdue wouldn't let me sign up for flight labs until i had a medical in hand, so i need the FBO for my private license this semester.

Same here!
I was admitted into Professional Flight, but after one day I realized a few things:

1) A degree in Professional Flight is near useless. The airlines don't care what your degree is in; just as long as you have a degree, they are happy.

2) It is a lot more expensive to do your flight training at a college.

3) Getting a degree based on your medical health is an awful idea. For me, I was about to pay near 160K for a degree which could easily be useless if I can't pass a medical.

Not that I'm trying to bash Purdue's Aviation Department, but I feel like I was completely pulled in by a few fancy simulators and the idea that a degree in aviation will give me a competitive edge in the industry.

Just build hours.

That all being said, I'm transferring this Spring to University of Illinois. That'll save me money on in-state tuition which means I will be able to finance my flying.

Good luck.

This man speaks the truth. I am training with the FBO at KLAF right now and my instructor seems to really know his stuff. Purdue wouldn't let me sign up for flight labs until i had a medical in hand, so i need the FBO for my private license this semester.

You flying with EM or MD? I urge you to either buy your CFI lunch someday or suggest to management at the FBO they pay a livable wage...those guys deserve it.

I started in proflight at the bottom a cycle.

I knew nothing about anything, but I did know when I got out, the upswing was in full force.

The Purdue Flight degree will carry weight at your first job. I've run across people in positions of influence for hiring that know it well.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way, so no matter what you choose you may be successful. This way just happened to work for me.

YMMV

Back