Back to it.

BravoHotel

Hello again JC.

I have been out of the flight deck for 14 months due to an injury I sustained while performing military duties.

I recently completed recurrent at my fractional and head back to the line next week. The process in which to get your medical back is huge pain in the ass. I was able to shave several months off of it by going to Oshkosh and getting in front of an FAA doctor.

My $.02 if for what ever reason you can't work, have a financial plan in place. The long term disability provided by the company was something but not much. My reserve unit had me on orders for most of my time while I was out. I did administrative support for my unit so I had a paycheck. If I didn't have that I would have been hurting.

Welcome back, and damn, I am sorry that happened to you (whatever it was specifically)! I always tell guys, the ones who talk about cutting ties completely at 10-12 years of service, that the reserves are a really great safety net to keep around in the event of any unpredicted economic event. If I hadn't had it when COVID hit, things would have been a lot spicier for me. But this is also a wrinkle that I suppose I don't think about much, though very easily could be a reality for many of us. Bad mishap, ejection injuries sustained, etc, could very easily take you out of the day-job flight deck too.

Back