Back from the Dead- Advice Needed: Yet Another Changer

Struggling Baron Dude

Hey all,
Been a long time member, though doubt there are any of the old guys still active? Anyway, stepped away from aviation for a LONG time. Am getting back into swing now, and looking at logbook, my last IPC was 2012! I'm getting current, but thought to rely on everyone's current view and solicit some advice. Am getting ready to turn 49 and have a wife that is mobile and doens't mind absences (think she likes me gone...). ;) Am located in the DFW area, so wouldn't mind buying someone a beer to bribe them for insight either.

Here's where I am:
BFR: Done
Current Class I medical
SEL TT 625
MEL TT 697
Turbine 0.8
TT 1322
IFR 94
XC 913

What would be the best route to decent money and career path recommended (defined as let's say 60k/annually)? In past working life, earned money launching wireless devices (Samsung, Huawei, etc.), but now sell things on internet (laid off) and do rental properties. I've been going flying again consistently to restart career, but blew it by not getting on regionals before the ATP min cut in. So, right now I am in that middle ground- meet 135 requirements (though not SUPER confident on IFR for single pilot operations), and not enough to go 121.

Does anyone have any insight in SIC programs to bridge the gap and gain competency in faster planes (most of multi was in a baron) or advice as to what to do?

Any advice is appreciated and welcome!
Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
I gotta say I don't know the current regs but it sounds like you aren't qualified for the regionals? I think you could make 60K with the bonus most of the regionals are offering. How current and qualified are you now? You want to be current/competent to pass training on whatever. You only need 1200tt for 135 IFR so I think you'd be a shoe in for Amflight at DFW. They do UPS to the satellite airports we don't fly jets into. Maybe someone in the DFW can chime in with an opportunity for you. Best of luck.

Hi... Thanks for taking the time to reply. Have followed you over the years and value your opinion. Honestly, I was a good pilot when i was doing it daily. Did fly for flight Express a bit before before the boss at my real job told me to make a decision.

Am getting comfortable flying instruments again (old school starts gauges and hand flying) to be sharp for a Sim check. I just need some time and an doing it. If anyone in DFW area wants to tradeoff safety pilot time let me know.

I'd love to go to ameriflight! I dropped an app there and they were scheduling for a January class. This was a couple weeks ago, and I honestly told Kacie ,the recruiter that called, that I'm getting proficient, but definitely not ready to step back in Captain role single pilot. They do have a sic program, but I'm a little over what their ideal is there. :). I sent a follow up email so good to hear back.

Thanks!!
Jim

Last edited:
I'd get as current as you can, pay for some sim time, go to the interview, and let them decide if your competent. You need to be trainable. Just don't be your own worst enemy overthinking what "competent" is. Maybe go up with a CFII that does IFR comp checks. If you can pass that then that says something. Then fly a little more and have him give you an "ATP" quality overview. Work on deficiencies. Then go get hired. It might be easier than you think.

From someone who started out as an Avionics Tech in the USAF, I have worked my way up until my health took it's toll. Try another route. For example: Ground School Instructor or Dispatcher. No, it's not what you want, but the more versatile you are, the more valuable to an airline. Speaking from experience working for a couple of Supplemental carriers, versatility is gold. One non sched (no longer operating) required their F/O's to have A&P's so they could double as a Flight Mechanic (737's). The same carrier hired me to be both a ground school instructor and a maintenance instructor. They are the places that people go to "break into" the heavies. The pay isn't great but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Where else was I going to have the chance to participate in the STC process?

From someone who started out as an Avionics Tech in the USAF, I have worked my way up until my health took it's toll. Try another route. For example: Ground School Instructor or Dispatcher. No, it's not what you want, but the more versatile you are, the more valuable to an airline. Speaking from experience working for a couple of Supplemental carriers, versatility is gold. One non sched (no longer operating) required their F/O's to have A&P's so they could double as a Flight Mechanic (737's). The same carrier hired me to be both a ground school instructor and a maintenance instructor. They are the places that people go to "break into" the heavies. The pay isn't great but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Where else was I going to have the chance to participate in the STC process?
So breaking into heavies these days at scumbag air requires the same qualifications as any regional. ATP and a pulse.
As for the STC, are you serious? Any random 172 the owner wants a radio or GPS put in.

So breaking into heavies these days at scumbag air requires the same qualifications as any regional. ATP and a pulse.
As for the STC, are you serious? Any random 172 the owner wants a radio or GPS put in.
I’m friends with a guy who was instrumental in creating some of the early ADSB and SV-EFIS STCs. His words regarding the STC process “I’d rather have all my teeth extracted without anesthesia than go through obtaining another STC”.

The STC was for a VIP configured 727 that the carrier was adding to their fleet. Let's just say the FAA's Engineering rep was being an asshat and jacking the company's engineering rep over an engineering drawing he supposedly couldn't find. I was sent there to take pictures and learn what I could so I could write a MX course on maintaining said aircraft. The Company rep filled me in on what was going on. It was clear that the FAA's rep had a Napoleon complex and I'm sure if we weren't a Supplemental he would have played ball. I looked all engineering drawings prior to going to DAL, where the aircraft was being reconfigured. I was pretty sure I knew which drawing he needed. After returning to the office, I faxed the FAA's rep the drawing in question. A little while later he get a call from the beforementioned FAA rep having a hissy fit which amounted to How dare you? I told the rep in my sweetest voice, "Just trying to help." The asshat's response was "I don't need your help!" (sic). I was chuckling after hanging up the phone knowing I pissed the little pr$#k off.

It gets better. After the asshat's call, the company rep called. He was over the moon. He called thanking me profusely. I asked "Did I send the correct drawing?" He responded with, "Oh you definitely sent the right drawing!, BTW, we got the STC." A week later when the company rep returned to the office, we here high fiving each other and laughing our you-know-what's off. From what I understand the FAA's rep got his butt blistered over that because the company (being me) had to do his job and produce the drawing for him. Sucks to be him. Before that, I didn't have but a vague idea of what an STC was, let alone what was involved in getting one. As to getting an STC, for a radio and a GPS, by myself, that's above my pay grade, sorry.

The STC was for a VIP configured 727 that the carrier was adding to their fleet. Let's just say the FAA's Engineering rep was being an asshat and jacking the company's engineering rep over an engineering drawing he supposedly couldn't find. I was sent there to take pictures and learn what I could so I could write a MX course on maintaining said aircraft. The Company rep filled me in on what was going on. It was clear that the FAA's rep had a Napoleon complex and I'm sure if we weren't a Supplemental he would have played ball. I looked all engineering drawings prior to going to DAL, where the aircraft was being reconfigured. I was pretty sure I knew which drawing he needed. After returning to the office, I faxed the FAA's rep the drawing in question. A little while later he get a call from the beforementioned FAA rep having a hissy fit which amounted to How dare you? I told the rep in my sweetest voice, "Just trying to help." The asshat's response was "I don't need your help!" (sic). I was chuckling after hanging up the phone knowing I pissed the little pr$#k off.

It gets better. After the asshat's call, the company rep called. He was over the moon. He called thanking me profusely. I asked "Did I send the correct drawing?" He responded with, "Oh you definitely sent the right drawing!, BTW, we got the STC." A week later when the company rep returned to the office, we here high fiving each other and laughing our you-know-what's off. From what I understand the FAA's rep got his butt blistered over that because the company (being me) had to do his job and produce the drawing for him. Sucks to be him. Before that, I didn't have but a vague idea of what an STC was, let alone what was involved in getting one. As to getting an STC, for a radio and a GPS, by myself, that's above my pay grade, sorry.
“I’d rather have all my teeth extracted without anesthesia than go through obtaining another STC”.

Lol, it sounds like you've had some good experiences. Many years ago after playing electronic tech on EW stuff in army, did avionics in a refurbished depot. Now, I don't think I could troubleshoot to component even if there was only a battery and a switch in the schematic! Lol.

I do have familiarity with STC process, and completely understand some of the personality dynamics in play in some situations.

Thanks to all for their replies. I've been flying steadily to get proficient again, as well as reaching out to some old friends in former roles. The holidays are here, and with it the slow down as people vacate in spirit if not in body.

The problem I have is that background is engineering (wireless protocols and parametric), but education is finance and econ. I left wireless after a layoff and have had a business the past 4 years selling stuff on Amazon (did about million in sales last year, but margins super low this year- anyone playing in this sphere knows of the race to bottom and capital requirements).

I'm just getting older and tired and want to do a great job and go home and save for a rainy day. I don't want to spend time complaining (very easy to do, as is rationalizing). I own my success, and present lack thereof.

Merry Christmas all!! Thank you all for insight!
Jim

Just a quick update...
After my ten year hiatus from flying (last time was with Flight Express), am now in training with Martinaire to drive a Caravan out of Dallas. It's not a Fedex feeder, but UPS. I'm excited...and a bit embarrassed to admit- a tad behind in the 182 on steroids. Today's training out of Addison (KADS) in IFR had me out of Addison, over to Mesquite for approaches, then up to McKinney for more approaches, holding near there, then back to Addison for another approach and landing.

Is it normal to be exhausted? ;) I've got to work on the flows. I have to admit, I am seriously beating myself up for not getting in the airlines prior to the ATP requirement!! LOL

Anyway, I'd like to publicly thank those that encouraged as well as encourage others to get in the air if the desire is there.
Thanks!!

Back