B6 hiring

At a “big 4 now” best believe if jetblue gave me a shot before i got to my airline now i would of never moved. I used to live in NY making 60k and i was fine. Im actually a lil salty B6 never gave me an opportunity. So for the guys that work there id say the money is good and not worth it to lose seniority for a few thousands if you like living in NY area with access to so many international flights. Cant talk for ORD but DFW and ATL sucks in the summer. Hot as hell.

Not sure why I hear so many new dispatchers on the floor complaining about the pay. They could have given us absolutely nothing or pennies compared to what we just got. Most new hires started in the beginning of the year so....... October they go from 73.6k to 81.5k in 2 month or so THEN they go up to 86.2 on their hire date. So waiting waiting around 8 months to go up 13k is pretty good if you ask me. Don't like it then go work for another airline.

inflation in 2022 alone was 8.3% and 5.3% in 2021, so most on your new scale are effectively making less than when the last scale came out. people want more than just surviving especially if that make it to a b6 caliber airline

every other airlines starting pay has or is going up by at least $20k. that makes that $7k increase pretty low

If the floor's so full of complaints, I'll still happily take that overtime if it's legally possible and I'm not mentally dead

A lot of new dispatchers are very fixated on the base salary number the first few years, understandably, but with some additional qualifications, (ATC, relief Sup, ETOPS, OJT) they can make up $10k more a year just for holding those quals, nothing else. Sure you’ll have to work some ETOPS shifts or some ATC desk shifts here and there but so what? You’re not working more days, just doing different things which IMO is very beneficial and only reinforces your skill set. My other point is that fixating on the first few years base pay only is not the right way to look at it. We all started from the bottom at JetBlue making less and did just fine in NYC- but the top of scale making $180k with those extra quals/premiums is damn good money, especially considering the amount of OT we get which can easily earn you $200k+.

The OT rate at year 12 is ~$120/hr. So at year 13 if you’re making $164,000 (License pay, and year 13 longevity, no adtl premiums), if you only do 2 OT shifts a month each month then you’re making an additional $28,800 a year putting you at $192,800. Add a few of those additional quals you’re at $200k.

A lot of new dispatchers are very fixated on the base salary number the first few years, understandably, but with some additional qualifications, (ATC, relief Sup, ETOPS, OJT) they can make up $10k more a year just for holding those quals, nothing else. Sure you’ll have to work some ETOPS shifts or some ATC desk shifts here and there but so what? You’re not working more days, just doing different things which IMO is very beneficial and only reinforces your skill set. My other point is that fixating on the first few years base pay only is not the right way to look at it. We all started from the bottom at JetBlue making less and did just fine in NYC- but the top of scale making $180k with those extra quals/premiums is damn good money, especially considering the amount of OT we get which can easily earn you $200k+.

The OT rate at year 12 is ~$120/hr. So at year 13 if you’re making $164,000 (License pay, and year 13 longevity, no adtl premiums), if you only do 2 OT shifts a month each month then you’re making an additional $28,800 a year putting you at $192,800. Add a few of those additional quals you’re at $200k.

That all sounds like reasonable, factual, data-based information. That won't fly here, my guy. I demand more complaining!

$80k is not bad for a second airline. If you get lucky and get hired within a couple years of being at a regional you will only be 26-29ish years old buying your first house to have kids in. With that salary it’s a stretch for a couple years, but you could still afford a $400k house.

$80k is not bad for a second airline. If you get lucky and get hired within a couple years of being at a regional you will only be 26-29ish years old buying your first house to have kids in. With that salary it’s a stretch for a couple years, but you could still afford a $400k house.
I think the get in price near me is closer to $600k. Can't imagine what it is around NYC.

If you're in a situation to commit to living in the area and staying at JetBlue it's a non issue I'd say. It's a good airline and good place to work.
But it's a struggle for commuters or people at the lower end of the scale who want to live somewhere close and safe to HQ.

I think the get in price near me is closer to $600k. Can't imagine what it is around NYC.

Depends what you want. Personally I don’t mind being within an hour of the office because commuting for our off peak shift times is easy, even in NYC. You can find a lot more house for less money in the outlying suburbs and the QOL is twice as good, especially if you have a family.

The real problem with NYC renting is that even though there are plenty of affordable apartments, they go quick.

if it doesn’t look great then why aren’t people leaving in droves? There’s a total of one b6 employee on here that is complaining lol. So your argument is futile. Based on your post history looks like you’re at southwest. Brand new and already looking down at other shops/dispatchers who work for airlines that just don’t make as much as the big 4. You think we don’t want more money? Who doesn’t? The reality is JetBlue just doesn’t make as much yet to offer that kind of money. We’re all hoping that if/when the NK acquisition happens this will all change.
People aren't leaving in droves because B6 just hires from within the company. The people they are hiring from within the company already have houses and families and have settled here. Notice that the people that they are hiring from outside the company ARE leaving for better pay.

People aren't leaving in droves because B6 just hires from within the company. The people they are hiring from within the company already have houses and families and have settled here. Notice that the people that they are hiring from outside the company ARE leaving for better pay.

Nope. False. They’ve hired a ton ton ton of externals not from NYC this last year and only a small handful have left. I’m sure some are looking to leave to other majors for whatever reason but it’s only very few from what I’ve heard. There are a ton of reasons why an external like myself wants to stay at JetBlue. The tri-state area has a ton to offer as long as you stay out of the ultra expensive parts like Manhattan and western Queens, Brooklyn. I love this area and working for B6, and the consensus I’ve gathered from other external hires is pretty similar.

Back