AWAC gear-up landing at PHL?

aloft

Jace is saying via his Facebook status that an Air Wisconsin flight made a gear-up landing at PHL tonight. Anybody heard anything about this? Can't find anything online, I'd expect it to be all over the news.

Or is Jace celebrating April 1st a bit early?

I saw that too, but didn't find anything online and haven't turned on the TV yet.

I was wonddering what was going on. We were putting lights up at my friends house about 25 miles north of the airport and there were a number of planes in what looked to be a stacked holding pattern.

Great work by the pilots and thankfully nobody was injured.

I held for nearly 1 hour last night going into EWR. The only thing the controllers were saying was 'holding due to volume.' I got word via ACARS from my dispatcher there was something going on down in PHL and they thought a runway was going to be closed......all makes sense now.

Ditto what others have said about the idiotic post re: AWAC MX. To my knowledge, this is only the second time that an AWAC plane has had landing gear issues in the last 9 years. A Dornier had a RT MLG fold up on landing several years ago.

On a side note: apparently it was an all female crew last night. Not something you see everyday.

"All three women were on plane, the pilot, co-pilot and a stewardess, were not harmed; there were no passengers onboard."

Why am I not surprised? :)

P.S. Before someone jumps on me, I'm kidding.

Jace is saying via his Facebook status that an Air Wisconsin flight made a gear-up landing at PHL tonight. Anybody heard anything about this? Can't find anything online, I'd expect it to be all over the news.

Or is Jace celebrating April 1st a bit early?

Yeah, it was a nightmare! My personal commuting disaster all stemmed from JB 182 being delayed from SAN to JFK for two hours, so I decided to go next door to the SAN-PHL flight followed by a connection to LGA. Many months ago when I decided that enough was enough - NO MORE SAN-PHL-LGA commutes because of all the hassle with that stupid airport Philthydelphia.

Well, what do we know, the same type of crap happens (it's my bad luck). The AWAC flight from BTV-PHL that was supposed to take us to LGA was delayed quite a bit due to the runway closure and the gate's status updates of course love to tout "just 10 more minutes..." and 10 minutes later say again "oh, just 10 more minutes again"...continuously through the night giving passengers false hope. So, I knew that with the 1 hour holding patterns into PHL wasn't going to get my PHL-LGA flight going, not to mention the rumored PHL 3 hr taxi times. At 9:00pm the gate agent was telling passengers at the gate in PHL that the flight from BTV was leaving BTV when in fact it had not even boarded, after I checked the computer. It didn't even leave BTV until 10:30pm.

So... I inquire about taking the train from Philthy to Lagarbage... $68. Not within my budget. So I go to the gate and ask passengers if anyone wanted to split the expense renting a car... because secretly I knew they were NOT going to LGA that night. We all rented a car together... complete strangers mind you... and made it to LGA in 1 hr 50 minutes. Had these passengers not gone into the car with me they would've been stranded in PHL... and I would've spent way more money for the rental car. In the end, one of the passengers expensed it to his company so we all ended up with a free car ride to LGA! Sorry for the poor grammar... I'm exhausted from working today and I'm about to enjoy some dinner.

Did I mention west-east coast COMMUTING SUCKS?!?!!?!!! :D (oh well, it's worth it)

Yeah, it was a nightmare! My personal commuting disaster all stemmed from JB 182 being delayed from SAN to JFK for two hours, so I decided to go next door to the SAN-PHL flight followed by a connection to LGA. Many months ago when I decided that enough was enough - NO MORE SAN-PHL-LGA commutes because of all the hassle with that stupid airport Philthydelphia.

Well, what do we know, the same type of crap happens (it's my bad luck). The AWAC flight from BTV-PHL that was supposed to take us to LGA was delayed quite a bit due to the runway closure and the gate's status updates of course love to tout "just 10 more minutes..." and 10 minutes later say again "oh, just 10 more minutes again"...continuously through the night giving passengers false hope. So, I knew that with the 1 hour holding patterns into PHL wasn't going to get my PHL-LGA flight going, not to mention the rumored PHL 3 hr taxi times. At 9:00pm the gate agent was telling passengers at the gate in PHL that the flight from BTV was leaving BTV when in fact it had not even boarded, after I checked the computer. It didn't even leave BTV until 10:30pm.

So... I inquire about taking the train from Philthy to Lagarbage... $68. Not within my budget. So I go to the gate and ask passengers if anyone wanted to split the expense renting a car... because secretly I knew they were NOT going to LGA that night. We all rented a car together... complete strangers mind you... and made it to LGA in 1 hr 50 minutes. Had these passengers not gone into the car with me they would've been stranded in PHL... and I would've spent way more money for the rental car. In the end, one of the passengers expensed it to his company so we all ended up with a free car ride to LGA! Sorry for the poor grammar... I'm exhausted from working today and I'm about to enjoy some dinner.

Did I mention west-east coast COMMUTING SUCKS?!?!!?!!! :D (oh well, it's worth it)

Sounds like kind of a cool adventure though Jace. That's one of those stories you'll be telling to a group of green skippies in the crew room 30 years from now. They'll be captivated by it and envy the adventures of "That old Captain Jace".

Back