AVweb shining a big 'ole light on AOPA finances

I felt like $40 a year was too much for a magazine about $300,000 airplanes. Especially when they gave me a monthly call asking for more. I never felt like AOPA did a whole lot for the average flyer. So I stopped my membership. I feel like organizations like the EAA do so much more to keep flying safe, fun, accessible and affordable for the average person, not just the guy flying $300K piston singles. I think topic has bee hashed out before though.

Right, for people flying $300K planes $40 shouldn't break the bank.

I just attended a great AOPA forum on student retention here at the expo.

If I was doubtful about their ongoings, I'm not anymore. They put on quite an event and they do indeed have our best interests in mind.

The magazine alone is worth $40.
The on-line flight planner of worth more than $40.
The small extra charge for a lawyer, one who works with the FAA daily, is worth the price of your license if you ever need it.
Having someone in DC lobbying for GA is priceless. Why do you think people from around the world come to the US for a flying vacation?

Wow who is this man with all those facts in an intelligently written post! Someone should make him in charge of the board!

Here's another +1 for AOPA. I think they do a fantastic job, especially with the work they've done with the GA caucus.

Oh, stop it! His head's gonna get big! :)

But I still feel cheated. GA used to be the realm of the "common man", folks like you and I who work for a living. Now, unless you're a Kennedy, Reagan or some loud-mouthed AM/cable talk guy, you can either fly for "the man" or not at all.

I still remember jumpseating and having narrowbody captains showing me their privately-owned A-26's, L39's, P51's and in 2010 I drive a German Tercel and live in a modest home and people scream "Elitist! Yarrrr!"

I don't see any multi-million dollar payouts unless I'm reading it wrong. I see 1.8 million for the top spot. That is a little more than most advocacy groups pay their top executives, I'll admit, though I will say that dollar for dollar AOPA gives a lot more benefit to its members... seeing as how GA would have been killed in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and on 9/12/2001 without AOPA.

AOPA has proven its value- I'm just saying that I think an advocacy group shouldn't necessarily be such a posh career destination. You can find motivated, intelligent people who are motivated by more than just money. AOPA has done good things, yes, but I think there's a danger of becoming too bloated to remain effective.

After all, 'advocacy' is great. Breast cancer awareness advocacy is a great thing- but it's also big business. People make a mint selling 'pink ribbon' merchandise. How much of that money goes to research and treatment development?

AOPA has always seemed like 'ALPA for the private operator' to me. That's good stuff in my book. I'd just like to see them a little leaner and meaner- GA needs all the help it can get.

Oh, stop it! His head's gonna get big! :)

But I still feel cheated. GA used to be the realm of the "common man", folks like you and I who work for a living. Now, unless you're a Kennedy, Reagan or some loud-mouthed AM/cable talk guy, you can either fly for "the man" or not at all.

I still remember jumpseating and having narrowbody captains showing me their privately-owned A-26's, L39's, P51's and in 2010 I drive a German Tercel and live in a modest home and people scream "Elitist! Yarrrr!"

Without getting in a discussion about the decline of real median income...the decline of real median income is responsible for this.

Mama Blue, bless her heart, asked once "Remember when co-pilots made what Captain Dad makes now?" Answer: Yes.

The decline of the American middle class and decline of general aviation are inexorably linked.

AOPA has always seemed like 'ALPA for the private operator' to me.
Or for the flight instructor or aspiring pilot. I do see them as the closest thing to a union us little guys have.

Not unlike ALPA (or any other organization), haters gonna hate...

Well said. The decline in median income is directly (imho) tied to the decline in middle class edu(ma)cation. This is exemplified by journalists (the supposed bastions of English) happily tweeting (or whatever) that someone "graduated Jackass High School". Graduated FROM, you mouthbreathing yokels! If you're graduating a high school, you're painting lines on the side of the damn thing. The worst part is that even our Betters are retards when it comes to the English language, and language is the very seat of knowledge and understanding. I'd take one working class moron from the 70s to ten "elite" Paris Hilton School for Girlz embarrassments. Mark my words, the Republic falls not because of any decisive social, racial, or demographic fault-lines, it fails because we've somehow come to the point that we reward uneducated morons for their rapacious appetite for self-involvement over people of all classes who have attempted to better themselves and speak a common language to an enormously disparate people who are all crying out for a common language that doesn't involve what Brand you wear. BritNAY and Echo Gear is the future (and that applies to everyone, regardless of race, creed, or color). The task is to abandon the sinking ship and devil take the hindmost.

Well said. The decline in median income is directly (imho) tied to the decline in middle class edu(ma)cation. This is exemplified by journalists (the supposed bastions of English) happily tweeting (or whatever) that someone "graduated Jackass High School". Graduated FROM, you mouthbreathing yokels! If you're graduating a high school, you're painting lines on the side of the damn thing. The worst part is that even our Betters are retards when it comes to the English language, and language is the very seat of knowledge and understanding. I'd take one working class moron from the 70s to ten "elite" Paris Hilton School for Girlz embarrassments. Mark my words, the Republic falls not because of any decisive social, racial, or demographic fault-lines, it fails because we've somehow come to the point that we reward uneducated morons for their rapacious appetite for self-involvement over people of all classes who have attempted to better themselves and speak a common language to an enormously disparate people who are all crying out for a common language that doesn't involve what Brand you wear. BritNAY and Echo Gear is the future (and that applies to everyone, regardless of race, creed, or color). The task is to abandon the sinking ship and devil take the hindmost.
:clap::clap::clap: :beer:

Dues have been the same amount for 20 years, and the new $45 per year for everything that AOPA provides and protects is still incredibly cheap, IMO. I spend more money per year on my wife's US Weekly for comparison and that does nothing to improve America!

Dues have been the same amount for 20 years, and the new $45 per year for everything that AOPA provides and protects is still incredibly cheap, IMO. I spend more money per year on my wife's US Weekly for comparison and that does nothing to improve America!

Do NOT disrespect that fine publication US Weekly!

:) :)

Mark my words, the Republic falls not because of any decisive social, racial, or demographic fault-lines, it fails because we've somehow come to the point that we reward uneducated morons for their rapacious appetite for self-involvement over people of all classes who have attempted to better themselves and speak a common language to an enormously disparate people who are all crying out for a common language that doesn't involve what Brand you wear.

Man that's one hell of a sentence. It has length, puncuation, intelligent content and it isn't even a run-on. Bravo.

Has anybody seen that the article has been pulled and replaced....

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/bizav/1766-full.html#203583

AVflash! Special Report back to top

Sponsor Announcement
AOPA and AVweb Joint Statement

Recent reports in AVweb.com regarding AOPA compensation and other issues have been strongly challenged by AOPA leadership. AVweb.com naturally defends its reporting and its role as the independent voice of general aviation. In an effort to have an open-ended, unrestricted dialog about all facets of AOPA's operations -- from finances to fuels to new pilot recruitment -- the association and AVweb have agreed to an unprecedented exchange of views and information. This will take place in coming weeks in the form of detailed interviews with AOPA principals that will include a fresh look at how the organization functions and how it defines its role in promoting general aviation. Both AVweb and AOPA believe such an independent review represents an unparalleled opportunity to build confidence in GA's future.

Craig Fuller, AOPA

Tim Cole, AVweb

Paul Bertorelli, AVweb

I'm all about transparency, but I think AOPA is worth every dime I spend on dues.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are really the few remaining defenses we have protecting what's left of general aviation from the NIMBY's, politicians and liability attorneys.

Agreed, they do a great job. Honestly I could care less about how many planes they have, how much they pay their people. For a measly $39 I get a great magazine, flight planner, medical assistance, numerous other member benefits. Not only do I get way more the $39 worth of stuff, I get a power house political lobbyist group. How in the world can a group of people less then 1% of the population get their voices heard. and not just in national politics. they work on the small local issues. have a problem at your airport, call aopa and they will help you out. They really do a great job!

Back