Avionics tech job and Medical

Chuckwagn

Good afternoon. I just retired from the military as an avionics tech and recently had a job offer from a company. I do not have any certifications and the company knows. Before retiring I had a sleep study done for snoring. Turns out I have narcolepsy. I've had no issue working on aircraft the past 20 years and do not take meds for this because I dont feel tired and during the test it was barely noticable. Will this disqualify me during the companies physical exam? Again I dont have any FAA certification. I really am excited for this job, but I am very nervous about this exam.

I’ve never heard of a physical exam for an MX position.
It's an exam required through the company. I think it's just a company requirement. I know that there are medical disqualifying conditions if you are licensed, I just dont know if there are any if you are not licensed, or maybe I'm just worried for nothing.

Last edited:
It's an exam required through the company. I think it's just a company requirement. I know that there are medical disqualifying conditions if you are licensed, I just dont know if there are any if you are not licensed, or maybe I'm just worried for nothing.
I don’t think I’d worry about it?

Thx. Yeah I'm probably worried for nothing. This being my first job after 20 years in the military has me nervous about everything. This is all new for me.

I have been an avionics tech for 21 years. The only medical requirements are passing a drug test, being able to lift 50 pounds, and that you can fog a mirror.

I hope that you got the job.

Back