Aviation Degrees - Worth It?

yxjames

Hello everyone,

First off, I know that there are a multitude of posts with this topic out there. However, there have been many generalizations and I am essentially stuck between two sides here.

I am a junior in high school and I am currently discussing post-secondary options. I have always loved the aspect of commercial aviation and I am very passionate about it. I am not referring to being an airline pilot! By this I mean sitting in front of a 6 monitor display in an OCC. However, due to the current state of the commercial aviation industry, I am also interested in computer science and I am highly evaluating that degree option too. My question is: does having an aviation degree in conjunction with a computer science degree make you stand out when hiring time comes? Or is having just a computer science degree fine? Please elaborate (preferably people with previous airline or commercial aviation experience).

Thank you,

yxjames

I don't think any sane person would ever recommend a degree in aviation (even though I'm getting one). The computer science degree will be more than enough to check the "4 year degree" box on your application, if you get all of your flight ratings on your own.

Depending on which aviation job you want an engineering degree could be the best option, but only if you're really dedicated to it (and good at math).

I don't think any sane person would ever recommend a degree in aviation (even though I'm getting one). The computer science degree will be more than enough to check the "4 year degree" box on your application, if you get all of your flight ratings on your own.

Depending on which aviation job you want an engineering degree could be the best option, but only if you're really dedicated to it (and good at math).

Thank you very much for replying. So what you are essentially telling me is that an aviation degree is not preferred and a CSci degree with ratings (such as PPL?) would be good to go, right?

A little quality time with the search feature will give you lots and lots of discussion about the relative value of an aviation degree.

Short version: no, not worth it.

You're better off getting a degree in computer science. Complete that, and if you want to complete a degree in Aviation, go for it. I would just have a "Plan B" because nothing is guaranteed in aviation. Good luck with your endeavors.

I would, if someone came to me and said, I'm either not going to college or going to college to get an aviation degree. That said, it is my opinion, that college is more about what you want to get out of it and what you put into it, than what you study and where you study.

I'm about less than a week away from graduating with one of those dreaded aviation degrees. Looking back at it in hindsight, I feel that if one's goal is to learn as much as possible about airplanes and the piloting profession, then getting an aviation degree will serve you well in that respect. I can't fathom myself knowing as much as I do now about aviation if I hadn't gone through it. However, my biggest regret is not backing it up with an other skill or degree just in case that I lost my medical or something else happened to pop up which would prevent me from flying. I don't see there being too many ways outside of aviation in which I could use the aviation degree if I chose one day to go down a different path, and that worries me somewhat. If you choose to major in aviation, just be certain that that is what you undoubtedly want. If you can afford it, have a backup in mind just in case.

Do cs with a minor in aviation at a school with a busy aviation program. CFI part time and get an internship writing software while getting solid grades. Then get a ft job writing software while continuing to CFI. if your school wont hire you pt then join a local flying club with your new found money, network, and create opportunities to teach on your own. After a couple years in IT youll have your debt paid and be readyto transition to flying, or to be safe quit your ft job and double your hourly rate writing software as a contractor - bank cash, and have the flexibility to pick up flying jobs between contracts without having to worry about what those jobs pay. Youll have money in the bank, enough hours for the atp, and solid experiences if you do it right.

I'm about less than a week away from graduating with one of those dreaded aviation degrees. Looking back at it in hindsight, I feel that if one's goal is to learn as much as possible about airplanes and the piloting profession, then getting an aviation degree will serve you well in that respect. I can't fathom myself knowing as much as I do now about aviation if I hadn't gone through it. However, my biggest regret is not backing it up with an other skill or degree just in case that I lost my medical or something else happened to pop up which would prevent me from flying. I don't see there being too many ways outside of aviation in which I could use the aviation degree if I chose one day to go down a different path, and that worries me somewhat. If you choose to major in aviation, just be certain that that is what you undoubtedly want. If you can afford it, have a backup in mind just in case.
Where did you get your aviation degree from?

order of importance

no degree < aviation degree < any other degree < STEM degree

graduate degrees are nice but not needed in aviation, (unless maybe seeking a management position)

Have a BS In Aviation Management from SIU

Been gainfully employed in Defense Program Management for past 20+ years with Boeing / GE

Not always your degree, more on how you sell yourself and what you learn along the journey

Don't recall ever caring what someone's degree was in making a hiring decision over the past 15 years of management.

The "Do you have a degree?" checkbox was the HR auto filtering system before I got to see the resumes

Hello everyone,

First off, I know that there are a multitude of posts with this topic out there. However, there have been many generalizations and I am essentially stuck between two sides here.

I am a junior in high school and I am currently discussing post-secondary options. I have always loved the aspect of commercial aviation and I am very passionate about it. I am not referring to being an airline pilot! By this I mean sitting in front of a 6 monitor display in an OCC. However, due to the current state of the commercial aviation industry, I am also interested in computer science and I am highly evaluating that degree option too. My question is: does having an aviation degree in conjunction with a computer science degree make you stand out when hiring time comes? Or is having just a computer science degree fine? Please elaborate (preferably people with previous airline or commercial aviation experience).

Thank you,

yxjames

10 years ago, I would have said No, and aviation degree is not worth it. No, however I think it is more likely yes. This is out of the mouth of Mr. Parker of American Airlines from an employee open meeting last year. He was asked about the pilot shortage. The company is using Eagle and considering a guaranteed pathway to the mainline. The company said they would have a focus on graduates from college programs. I am sure they will hire qualified candidates where ever they find them but he did single out aviation college programs for mention.
I have no idea if it will work but the company understands the potential problems of the pilot shortage issue and if they have to hire more low time pilots they will tend to seek many them from the University programs. This is not a debate over the quality of one type of training vs. another.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am simply reporting what i have heard and it seems that more weight will be given to pilots from these programs. It remains to be seen if that turns out to be true or not. I don't think it is reflected in the current hiring numbers.

Back