Average time to complete Multi initial?

J777Fly

Some schools advertise courses with 10 hours, some with as low as 6. So what is the average training time for a private pilot to complete a multi initial?

thanks

Some schools advertise courses with 10 hours, some with as low as 6. So what is the average training time for a private pilot to complete a multi initial?

thanks

what ever it takes,
most of my students are around 10-12. If you have a long way to fly to the practice area then 12.

can you do it in 6, yes.
Will you be ready in 6, probably not.

Why are you planning to get a private multi? Unless you already have an instrument rating and you don't plan on a commercial. Many schools offer an initial commercial AMEL course and it's alluring, but financially it doesn't make sense. Not to mention the idea of transitioning from a 152 or 172 directly into a seminole or a dutchess is going to be very difficult.

Personally, I would wait for the instrument and commercial single before I went with a Multi. It would be nice to have a little transition from the basic trainers to a Piper Arrow, or a 182 RG, something that moves a little faster, but the change is gradual. Not to mention the fact that you would have many more hours of experience.

Why are you planning to get a private multi? Unless you already have an instrument rating and you don't plan on a commercial. Many schools offer an initial commercial AMEL course and it's alluring, but financially it doesn't make sense. Not to mention the idea of transitioning from a 152 or 172 directly into a seminole or a dutchess is going to be very difficult.

Personally, I would wait for the instrument and commercial single before I went with a Multi. It would be nice to have a little transition from the basic trainers to a Piper Arrow, or a 182 RG, something that moves a little faster, but the change is gradual. Not to mention the fact that you would have many more hours of experience.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm planning to go commercial some day, with IR. But I want to do the multi initial on the private first as a personal preference. I have 200 hours and I plan to do a few dual "warm up" hours in a C172 RG before I hit the duchess at my school.

I think you'll like multi flying it's a lot of fun. But it's also a lot of work and going to take some time. In your situation, I would guess about the same as Douglas, 10-12 hours of multi flight time to get your rating.

After I completed my instrument rating in a 172, I earned the AMEL with instrument privileges in 24hrs dual in a Seminole. I guess the checkride was everything you'd cover in a multi add-on but with a few single-engine approaches thrown in. It was nice to pay for one checkride, fly once, and earn two ratings!

I did exactly what you have planned, with one exception. My first minute of complex time was in a twin. I think you should save the C-172RG warm-up and just hit the twin. I got a VFR Private add-on in 10.0 hrs in a pay-as-you go program. Getting instrument privileges probably would've taken another 1.0-1.5 hrs. (I had an IFR rating at the time, but decided I didn't want to end up flying a twin in IMC, so I just did the VFR ride. Later when I upgraded my certificate to commercial I added IFR privileges to it.)

For comparison, I had 225 hrs total time, Private ASEL with IR when I started twin training.

I would say I average around 10 hours to get a student done. I have never understood how some of these "programs" claim 6 hours for the rating.

You'll have fun flying the twin whether you add your instrument privileges to it or not.

Also, for reference, consider that by doing the Private MEL any time you spend flying after that, and toward your Commercial will be PIC (I can't say it matters much in the current job market, but who knows, that could change).

:yeahthat:

You can do it this way you are thinking and there is nothing wrong with it, we are just letting you know you can do it cheaper and only take Three multi-check rides in your career (Commercial/CFI/ATP Multi-)
Back in the day ('02 :) ) when the seneca II was 120/hour wet, I would go for it but i don't think it is worth it any more since nobody asks if your multi time is pic, they just need the tt.

I would say I average around 10 hours to get a student done. I have never understood how some of these "programs" claim 6 hours for the rating.

We only take four to five hours in a multi to train an add-on. That includes the aircraft time for the checkride. And we have a 90% pass rate on the AMEL add-on.

Back