ATP Written?

meyers9163

I dont have the 300 to blow at ATP or I'd just go to DAB and do it. So what other sites have you all used to study for it? I know the Gleim but wondering if there were any more. Figured I have time to spend on it since I'm on the street for the time being. Also if Skywest/Pinnacle start to hire and I wanted to go to either I'd have to have it as well! Any heads up is great!

ps... i know i could use the search function, but I'm entirely too lazy and watching some good TV right now :)!

Just buy the Gleim book and/or software, then spend 16 hrs quizzing yourself. That's all you'd do for the $300 you'd spend at ATP. Seriously.

Just buy the Gleim book and/or software, then spend 16 hrs quizzing yourself. That's all you'd do for the $300 you'd spend at ATP. Seriously.
Kinda: ATP has narrowed the test bank down from 1400 questions to 521.

BUT...doing what Aloft suggested works just fine too. Give yourself about two weeks to prepare, hitting the test prep hard for two to three hours a night, then go take the test.

$55 for the Gleim Test Prep software + a week of plugging away at it on the computer until you consistently get a good score on your practice tests + $85 for the written at the local LaserGrade = passing score on the ATP written.

I think it was a lot cheaper than $300 that ATP offers. After going through the questions over and over again you end up recognizing the "right" answers through rote.

I think the only advantage of spending the $300 at a test prep course is if you are on a compressed time table or don't want to spend the week/two weeks preparing, e.g. an example would be you were suddenly assigned to an upgrade class for next week, but don't have a written done at all.. Two in my upgrade class were in that situation - notified on Thursday to show up for upgrade on Monday. - they went down to the local ATP for the ATP written prep class.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing for the FEX. more $$$ for the Gleim software and then more $$$ to the local LaserGrade..

Just buy the Gleim and study it. You only need a 70%. Heck... I'd give you my Gleim book if I could find it...

How was this program? Also do you download the program and banks or do you have a certain amount of time you are able to log into the website to study?
It's a downloaded program, you get a login and password. They also narrow the test bank down to like 600-650 questions. There is also a list of some questions that you're supposed to memorize 'High' 'Low' or 'Medium' (IE high low or medium number of the 3 answers) -- like the flight plan questions like that. Makes those very easy.

I studied with it for 2 days, took my written and got a 88. They have a money back guarantee too, if you dont score above 90 I think. I didnt ask for my money back though because I felt I got a good score for only like 12 hours of study :p

Software

Used it for my Commercial CFIA CFII AGI IGI and will use it for the ATP shortly.

Way cheaper then gleim online 35 dollars. However I do recommend getting the ASA or gleim book to supplement it.

I'm ridiculously CHEAP and I spent the $75 on Sheppard Air's program. That should tell you something.

I took 5 days, a few hours a day and got a 99. Most painless study program I've ever used. It also comes with a nifty study guide with memorization hints and tips. They used to give it away for free but now I think it only comes with the program.

Definitely Sheppard Air.
They have a very good method/system to memorize the flight plan questions as well as a number of others.

What??? That's way too easy. Back when I was going through....

I bought the ASA Prepware and studied for about 6 weeks, then took the test at a local testing place. I'd like to say I'm a better pilot for it, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably do a Sheppard Air kinda thing. You don't get extra points for doing it the old fashioned way.

Sheppardair.com 8-9 hours of studying and got a 90 by the way it only took 30 minutes to take the test from sign in to results in hand. Crazy simple....a buddy of mine did the ATP course and they use the same memory aid as sheppard air provides. www.sheppardair.com

I might be the worst person for FAA-style rote tests. I can't remember crap. Everytime before school, even though I know them, I can't spit out memory items/limits.

Now that the stage is set. I've used ATP (300 bones), Gleim(55) and an unknown (and to be unrepeated) source for tests.

All scored in the upper 90's (worthless, unless you're going to drop it on an interview table.) Without any systems, my grades were barely passing to pretty lucky, but none that high.

I recommend the Gliem download from the website for the following reasons:
1) It's cheap
2) It emulates whatever test-taking software you use (for tools like me, it makes it easier to study using the same screen you'll test on)
3) I can do it at home, at my own pace with beer.
4) Results, but it's equal in the newer style study deals.

I can't learn crap from a Gliem book. Just doesn't work for me, but any system is OK. So if it's cheap you want, go with the old standby.

I just used the ASA prep software. I can't remember what I got, and the APD that did my type ride/ATP ride didn't even look at the score.....

Software

Used it for my Commercial CFIA CFII AGI IGI and will use it for the ATP shortly.

Way cheaper then gleim online 35 dollars. However I do recommend getting the ASA or gleim book to supplement it.

Careful with that Dauntless software. I used it for my ATP and there were some answers (and explanations) that were flat out wrong.

I paid the ATP price and scored in the mid 90'S (don't remember exactly) but the thing I do remember is having $300.00 worth of a headache by the time it was exam time. A friend of mine just used the shephard air program and also scored mid 90'S and said he would most definately recommend that program to anyone. Easy to use. The thing about ATP is its a force motivator. You are there all day so the only real choice you have is to sit there and study all day. If you use a computer program I would highly recommend getting a hard copy of the figures. i.e. the big red book or one that might come with some software you buy. Toggling between figures on a computer screen is a royal PIA.

What??? That's way too easy. Back when I was going through....

I bought the ASA Prepware and studied for about 6 weeks, then took the test at a local testing place. I'd like to say I'm a better pilot for it, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably do a Sheppard Air kinda thing. You don't get extra points for doing it the old fashioned way.

You are right, it is too easy. I spent about 3.5 hours total using the ATP software and scored an 88. No gleim or any other prep.

Back