ATP offering initial CFI again

mwflyer

just noticed it on their website. they start classes again in oct. why did they ever stop, and what made them start again?

Good to hear. I think ATP would be good for the initial CFI as they know how to get people through. I'm not sure the LAS thing is worth the hassle, but perhaps there are other options. Anyhow, I would suspect the program is back because things are slowing down at ATP and they see this as a way to generate revenue.

It was (when the industry was slower and people actually had to instruct some to get hired somewhere to fly people or cargo around) incredibly popular. The crash course ground school was intimidating for some, but that's pretty much how the industry is, so it worked out well. My CFI class was made up of 3 of us from ATP, an oddball guy who owned his own Duke (VERY nice plane) but ended up having a really sketchy background and flight time and never got signed off, and a Longbow-D Army Captain who was going to Alabama to supervise IPs at Rucker. Interesting mix and some great stories.

much better price this time as well. if i remember correctly, it used to cost 11k just for the initial. now you get all 3 for 7-8k.

This is a good program for those outside who have a great foundation. Those from outside seem to really do well in this program and pass as long as they were prepared going in. Honestly this was one of the best programs they had and when they got rid of it I had to wondered. I would ONLY guess its back to make money because there are some locations whom have lower enrollment. I think PFN from talking to my buddies only had 2 students start last month. When they could do as many as 8ACP and 8 privates. So out of 16 or a little less openings only had two come. ANyways its all about money. Dont let them tell ya anything else. This is a way for them to make a buck at the days end. Worth going to though. One of the three programs at ATP I'd recommend.

Dont say it like it is a bad thing. Except for Humanitarian Aid pilots or Missionary Pilots (Like one of CRG's 2-year CFI's) EVERYTHING in aviation is for the money. It is a business. If I could make more money training sport pilots, I would. As Walt S. says, "What determines the forward speed of an aircraft? The size of the checkbook.":laff:

This is a good program for those outside who have a great foundation. Those from outside seem to really do well in this program and pass as long as they were prepared going in. Honestly this was one of the best programs they had and when they got rid of it I had to wondered. I would ONLY guess its back to make money because there are some locations whom have lower enrollment. I think PFN from talking to my buddies only had 2 students start last month. When they could do as many as 8ACP and 8 privates. So out of 16 or a little less openings only had two come. ANyways its all about money. Dont let them tell ya anything else. This is a way for them to make a buck at the days end. Worth going to though. One of the three programs at ATP I'd recommend.

What are the other 2 programs you'd recommend ? I'm thinking of doing a commercial multi add-on at FTY, would you recommend them ? It's pricier than some other places, but I think it would be fast-paced, which is desirable in my case.

What are the other 2 programs you'd recommend ? I'm thinking of doing a commercial multi add-on at FTY, would you recommend them ? It's pricier than some other places, but I think it would be fast-paced, which is desirable in my case.

I highly recommend the CMEL add on. However not out of FTY. By the time you get out of the ATL airspace and into the pratice area you wasted a lot of your time getting to the pratice area. Actually when I left FTY wasnt even offering it any more. I'd recommend a SUA/DAB/PFN for the CMEL add on if you could. Just you can get out of the airspace and back in easily and do pattern work right there on the field if not near by. In addition the ATP for those whom are going to get their rating. Now that the inclusive CFI program is back I HIGHLY recommend doing that. However I really only think ATP structure for the CFI program is really suited for those who have a SOLID foundatoin at the private level and IRA.... If you do the CFI program is cake as well.

frank v is the man! i was called a lollipop and a yum yum by that guy. just roll with the punches keep your mouth shut and you will be fine. it is what it is. nothing more nothing less. you signed up for the program to get your cfi in 10 days. once you get the rating use it. you will learn a lot!

Are they going to be going back to DE's or are they still gonna have to use the FSDO for the initial.. I thought that was part of the problem, that the guys at the FSDO were failing people left and right? Either way, its good to have an option like this back....I have heard good things about the program...

Are they going to be going back to DE's or are they still gonna have to use the FSDO for the initial.. I thought that was part of the problem, that the guys at the FSDO were failing people left and right? Either way, its good to have an option like this back....I have heard good things about the program...

I know in Vegas, ATP submits your name to the FSDO and the FSDO comes back with a list of either DEs or FAA with the applicants name next to one or the other. You dont get to pick. When I was there last summer they said that for a few months it will be nothing but DEs and then the next month it will be nothing but FSDO.

To be honest, I would take a FSDO. The CFI initial is supposed to be hard. Something like only 17% of people pass the first time. If you do it with the FSDO, you dont have to pay a re-examination fee. :D

To be honest, I would take a FSDO. The CFI initial is supposed to be hard. Something like only 17% of people pass the first time. If you do it with the FSDO, you dont have to pay a re-examination fee. :D

Even better, if you do it with the FSDO you don't have to pay the initial examination fee either.

Does anyone know about any blogs about the CFI school at ATP? I'm actually considering do this with ATP, so I'm looking for insight on the intensity of the groundschool. Are you required to show up with the CFI writtens done?

Does anyone know about any blogs about the CFI school at ATP? I'm actually considering do this with ATP, so I'm looking for insight on the intensity of the groundschool. Are you required to show up with the CFI writtens done?

If you show up without your writtens done, you probably arent even going to be ready to be signed off.

You should show up with all writtens done, and memorized. The oral guide memorized. The Airplane Flying Handbook memorized and the Pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge memorized.

The CFI school should just be a refresher type deal. The CFI school has got to be one of the best things ATP has to offer.

Look up 777Forever, he did the CFI school last year and wrote about it.

You can look up my old blog on CFI school at atp as an outside view of things. I actually did enjoy my time in JAX and thought it was done well at the time. I would not do it any different if given the opporunity again. This is one program ATP has the best product far none out there.

Back