ATP MSU program or fast track?

DerekRoth

I am a 20 year old college student that decided what I was originally going for wasn't for me and I have always had this dream of being an airline pilot. So I did some research and decided ATP is the best choice for me i have all of my general ed classes done for college so I was wonderingwhat others opinions may be on doing the fast track in the 150 days and transfer flight time and credits to MSU after that or do the degree program that takes 14 months to finish??

How much debt have you accumulated from college? How much debt will you accumulate from atp? Are you prepared for making 20k a year with 700 dollars in debt payments per month?

It depends on how you want to do things. If you want a little bit of breathing room, do the degree program. If you are super motivated, the 150 day 0time career program might work, then transfer credits and possibly work as a CFI while completing online msu work. If you choose to work for ATP, it is probably only manageable to have 1 course. Working at ATP doesn't allow for a whole lot of R&R...

I have accumulated 0 debt from college so far I went to a community college while I worked a full time retail job the past few years but I am getting tired of the retail drama and wanna do something I love regardless of the troubles that are ahead when starting out!! :)

It depends on how you want to do things. If you want a little bit of breathing room, do the degree program. If you are super motivated, the 150 day 0time career program might work, then transfer credits and possibly work as a CFI while completing online msu work. If you choose to work for ATP, it is probably only manageable to have 1 course. Working at ATP doesn't allow for a whole lot of R&R...

I had a feeling it would live little time for R&R but I am willing to sacrifice that to try to get the ball rolling faster!!

I know a guy going through the program that has managed a full course load, a full time job, and completed the self-paced program, ACP+PPL, in less than a year. You can easily instruct and do coursework. You are right, it leaves little time for other things.

I know a guy going through the program that has managed a full course load, a full time job, and completed the self-paced program, ACP+PPL, in less than a year. You can easily instruct and do coursework. You are right, it leaves little time for other things.
Loadmaster I have been on here the past 6 hours just reading different threads and just wanted to compliment you on your advice you seem to just tell it how it is not glorify ATP or burn them to the ground like alot of other guys on here Thanks for the help even if it wasn't direct!! A question for you though given my situation what do you suggest??

Loadmaster I have been on here the past 6 hours just reading different threads and just wanted to compliment you on your advice you seem to just tell it how it is not glorify ATP or burn them to the ground like alot of other guys on here Thanks for the help even if it wasn't direct!! A question for you though given my situation what do you suggest??

That's cause he works for them...

He tells it like it is... without glorifying ATP... because he works for them?
Yea I didn't get what he was trying to get at either :) I have read alot from you Captain here and also on beanairlinepilot.com as well you have some very good helping advice as well. I believe i have made my decision. I hope to attend ATP the end of this month for the ACPP w/ PPL but still cant decide on where to go I wanna go somewhere where the weather is good!! I have narrowed it to Arlington or Jax. I have heard the Arlington location is practically the best out of all ATP so I am kinda leaning toward it anybody with more info about either would be great!! Thanks

Me and my father finished the loan application tonight so keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck!!! I hope I can get the money my parents have really good credit!!

Got approval for my loan today while on the phone with loadmaster :laff: But I have decided I am going to the Arlington location hopefully starting on Feb. 7th This forum has helped me out a lot with the the things I have read from other threads on ATP to the Hiring threads and even the Aviation Humor thread :laff: I can't wait to join all of you in the sky!!!:rawk:

Congrats!

The offer still stands! Loadmaster knows how to get a hold of me. :)

Welcome to DFW... LOTS of JC folks around these parts! :)

Bob

Congrats!

The offer still stands! Loadmaster knows how to get a hold of me. :)

Welcome to DFW... LOTS of JC folks around these parts! :)

Bob

Thanks Capn :) Yea I am really excited to get down there :) I will get a hold of you once I get there :) Thanks for the help :)

Got approval for my loan today while on the phone with loadmaster :laff: But I have decided I am going to the Arlington location hopefully starting on Feb. 7th This forum has helped me out a lot with the the things I have read from other threads on ATP to the Hiring threads and even the Aviation Humor thread :laff: I can't wait to join all of you in the sky!!!:rawk:

Before you spend any of the loan money, please carefully think about the terms and how you plan to make the payment. I have a good friend who was in a rush to learn to fly and has had to move back in with his parents and take a non flying job just to make the payments. Aviation related debt is a dream killer.

That being said, I hope you enjoy the training path that you decided is right for you. Good luck!

Before you spend any of the loan money, please carefully think about the terms and how you plan to make the payment. I have a good friend who was in a rush to learn to fly and has had to move back in with his parents and take a non flying job just to make the payments. Aviation related debt is a dream killer.

That being said, I hope you enjoy the training path that you decided is right for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and trust me I have been milling over this for a while and am willing to assume the risks!! I hope it works out as well!!

I think you will enjoy GKY. I did the 90 day course back there in 08 and really liked it. I visited some other ATP locations during the XC phase and GKY was by far the nicest with respect to the aircraft, facilities and staff. I was less then impressed with the other locations. I really enjoyed my time there. Study Study and Study some more and dont expect anything to get handed to you and you will do fine. Good luck and see you in the skies.

I think you will enjoy GKY. I did the 90 day course back there in 08 and really liked it. I visited some other ATP locations during the XC phase and GKY was by far the nicest with respect to the aircraft, facilities and staff. I was less then impressed with the other locations. I really enjoyed my time there. Study Study and Study some more and dont expect anything to get handed to you and you will do fine. Good luck and see you in the skies.

Thanks Phantom I haven't received my books yet but I have already gotten a head start on my online Jeppesen coursework!! :)

Back