ATP grads

probably wanted to fly them shiny regional jets!

Negative, Ghost Rider, but thanks for proving what they say about assumptions!

Actually I was about three months away from upgrade and leaving was a tough decision. However, I could get based at home with CHQ and drive to work. Add to that the fact that I get WAY more days off, can't be junior manned, and make almost as much as an FO as my friends who are CA's at Colgan, and the decision was a no brainer. The only thing I had to give up was some turbine PIC, which in the current market of no hiring, isn't helping any of my friends who stayed and upgraded. However, if the market turns soon, they will have an upper hand in moving on to their next job as I'm still waiting to build that time.

But, that was a conscious decision on my part to take QOL over faster accumulation of turbine PIC. And since I have a little baby on the way in 2 days, I have no regrets.

Here is my .02 regarding ATP and their career pilot program. I finished up at the Mesa Gateway location last month. Good location, I struggled, but I learned a lot, I got through commercial ratings without too much difficulty. I would recommend the ATP PHX location to anyone who wanted to get their ratings in ATP's style of doing things.

However, ATP's way of doing CFI school in my opinion is completely ridiculous. :banghead: I have my reasons why, and there are a lot of people out there who will probably agree with me. I fortunately have my VA benefits and will complete the CFI ratings at a 141 school..

I was very fortunate to find employment leaving ATP with my low hours a little over 300 TT as a jump pilot.

I attended ATP JAX in OCT 04 and Graduated in APR 05. I couldn't find a job in my home town so I searched around and got hired in Albuquerque as a flight instructor.....I flight instructed there til I had my 1200 hours then went on to fly for a company called South Aero flying UPS feeder routes. I worked for them for a little over a year and now have been working for an Air Ambulance company flying medical, charter and Air Attack for the Forrest Service.

Currently have an interview coming up with CBP so I hope I get that...otherwise I am fine where I am at now...good pay and a good company to work for.

I finished in October of 08. Took longer than the specified 90 days for the career program. CFI got married, and a bunch of students backlogged from previous CFI's getting other jobs. About month and a half extra, so that has kept me unemployed since then. Fortunately my wife is very understanding. Until just recently, alot of us had been unemployed, couple of my friends got jobs towing banners in florida.

My wife just had a baby, so my options of going abroad to build time is rather limited. :( I am hoping the economy in michigan picks up, and some of the CFI's move on, or if I can, get lucky sitting right seat in something. I have stayed active, current and built about 50 hours since leaving the program, but my funds are tapped, and the loans are coming due, so looks like I will be flipping burgers soon. Not the way I had planned, but that is life. I wish ATP took more interest in helping students find work afterwards, without the regional training they advised us not to take until later. Of the three core guys in my class, none of us have jobs. One opted out of CFI, and the other I last heard was back in the auto shop fixing cars. The economy is killing us.

I was at Richmond, with alot of great guys. Wish I could teach there, but the CFI list is huge, and I cant be far away from home for long periods with the newborn. I wish you all luck in your endevours.

I finished in October of 08. Took longer than the specified 90 days for the career program. CFI got married, and a bunch of students backlogged from previous CFI's getting other jobs. About month and a half extra, so that has kept me unemployed since then. Fortunately my wife is very understanding. Until just recently, alot of us had been unemployed, couple of my friends got jobs towing banners in florida.

My wife just had a baby, so my options of going abroad to build time is rather limited. :( I am hoping the economy in michigan picks up, and some of the CFI's move on, or if I can, get lucky sitting right seat in something. I have stayed active, current and built about 50 hours since leaving the program, but my funds are tapped, and the loans are coming due, so looks like I will be flipping burgers soon. Not the way I had planned, but that is life. I wish ATP took more interest in helping students find work afterwards, without the regional training they advised us not to take until later. Of the three core guys in my class, none of us have jobs. One opted out of CFI, and the other I last heard was back in the auto shop fixing cars. The economy is killing us.

I was at Richmond, with alot of great guys. Wish I could teach there, but the CFI list is huge, and I cant be far away from home for long periods with the newborn. I wish you all luck in your endevours.

One of the biggest problems I have with ATP is exactly that. They have the best customer service when they are trying to get your money (ex. deposit and loans). Once you sign that stupid training and refund policy (the very first day you are there) they have you by the balls and they don't give a crap about you after that. My question is: What happened to being part of the "ATP Alumni Network" after you finish the program? I have seen no obvious benefits of being a member of the "network". Oh wait, I forgot that Paul Templeton will call and tell you to apply at GoJets. Hell yes, count me in!:sarcasm:

One of the biggest problems I have with ATP is exactly that. They have the best customer service when they are trying to get your money (ex. deposit and loans). Once you sign that stupid training and refund policy (the very first day you are there) they have you by the balls and they don't give a crap about you after that. My question is: What happened to being part of the "ATP Alumni Network" after you finish the program? I have seen no obvious benefits of being a member of the "network". Oh wait, I forgot that Paul Templeton will call and tell you to apply at GoJets. Hell yes, count me in!:sarcasm:

hmm, my experience was vastly different than yours. granted, they are no longer trying to "sell" yu the program once you're in, but they do everything possible to get you done on time which is what you signed up for, right?

"ATP alumni Network"? hmm, I think thats something you do on your own. I met a lot of people and made a lot of friends while training and instructing at ATP, all of whom are flying professionally in some capacity. I think that ATP was a great place to network, but thats kind of up to you.

I went through the Career Pilot Program at KGKY in the spring/summer of 06'. I saw the way my instructor was treated and decided I wasn't going to instruct for them. They assume that everyone's goal in life is to be an ATP instructor, so they treat you like crap and you have to take it or else you wont get hired.
While they do suck at CUSTOMER service, the training is good.

After going through ATP I found a job Instructing at Monarch Air in Addison. Pay was competitive with other flight schools, and there was no shortage of students.

In March 07' I started flying right seat in the King Air at Monarch. I kept instructing on the side for the extra hours, and extra pay. I haven't done any instructing since about December 08'. Now I'm in school at Simuflite to upgrade to captain on the King Air 350. My check ride is Sunday!

In March 07' I started flying right seat in the King Air at Monarch. I kept instructing on the side for the extra hours, and extra pay. I haven't done any instructing since about December 08'. Now I'm in school at Simuflite to upgrade to captain on the King Air 350. My check ride is Sunday!

Awesome! Good to hear you're progressing. Good luck with the checkride... my experience at Simuflite has always been positive, they do a good job to get you ready for the checkride

Former ERAU student from Prescott, AZ (he just had to mention riddle.) :banghead: I graduated the ACPP 10 month self-paced in '07, it took me about 6 months to finish through the program. Got through ATP stands weeks after passing my CFII MEI, and have been instructing for ATP ever since. Coming up on 2yrs now out of the Trenton location. Had moved around in the beginning though and instructed at FTY, BWG, and BHM. The job requires alot of responsibility, and personal dedication. Albeit it may not be the best job in the world, but it is a job that I am blessed and thankful to have. It allows me to adequately pay my bills, live within my means, and save just a few for later down the road even if it's not much, it is something to start with. I help others accomplish their goals, while simultaneously staying proficient and building hours in the logbook. I plan to show my commitment to ATP, while they assist me in obtaining my ATP ticket. Just a year or so shy of it. Possessing a strong work ethic, having the heart to press on through difficult times, and seeing the glass as half-full, has helped. Good times will come, this is just my beginning, and that's my story.:rawk:

My question is: What happened to being part of the "ATP Alumni Network" after you finish the program? I have seen no obvious benefits of being a member of the "network".
my ATP Alumni sticker is in the bottom of my toilet bowl downstairs . . . it does make a great target:laff:

Back