ATP cross country vs. Part 135 cross country

matt152

A few times I have flown cross-county flights (greater than 50 miles) and just done an approach at another airport, and then returned to the original point of departure. No landing at the other airport. My understanding is that this time counts as cross-country for ATP purposes.

However my reading of the cross country reg in Part 1 leads me to believe that this time counts as cross country ONLY for ATP purposes. No good for Part 135 mins, since a landing is required for non-ATP cross country work.

In addition, Part 135 mins only require "cross country" meaning a landing at another airport, not necessarily an airport 50 miles away from the point of departure.

If this understanding is correct, I am curious as to how you more experienced guys log your cross country time. Do you use a different column for "ATP purposes" and "50-mile X/C with a landing" and "X/C with a landing, less than 50 miles?" I can see where an electronic logbook might make this a little easier.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You are correct about the ATP vs 135 cross country logging regulations. I put a custom column in my electronic logbook called "Airport to Airport" that I used to keep track of 135 X-C time. I never needed to put in a new column for ATP cross countries that didn't include a landing. I always did at least a touch-and-go to keep it simple.

When you get "cleared for the option", take the option to do a touch and go. If just "cleared for the low approach", ask for a touch and go.

Do a quick search and you will find about 5 threads about electronic logbook programs all occurring in about the last two months or so.

My electronic logbook sorts it for me.
I haven't read the other electronic logbook threads so I am glad I read this one. I just tried FlightLogg.in today. It has some nice features, such as the Google map:
2008-11-29_131029b.jpg

I like the online one, but would warn of possibly the site shutting down one day. I don't see anywhere on there where you can export to something, although I could be mistaken.

I don't log ATP x/c or airport-to-airport x/c. (By the time I had 1500 I had just shy of 500 "landing 50 nm away" x/c.) It wouldn't take long to dig through my logbook and find these types of times since there are few of them. I know of guys who use the X/C column of their log book to mean any of these three definitions, but the 50 nm is more common.

A better question would be, why are you doing an approach 50 nms away and not making a landing (more than once)?

After reading this thread I tried signing up for FlightLogg.in but every time I go to register it returns me to the main menu and then says my password is invalid, anyone else have trouble?

After reading this thread I tried signing up for FlightLogg.in but every time I go to register it returns me to the main menu and then says my password is invalid, anyone else have trouble?

Seems like a bug. Email the owner of the site, he is usually fast to fix bugs.

I don't log ATP x/c or airport-to-airport x/c. (By the time I had 1500 I had just shy of 500 "landing 50 nm away" x/c.) It wouldn't take long to dig through my logbook and find these types of times since there are few of them. I know of guys who use the X/C column of their log book to mean any of these three definitions, but the 50 nm is more common.

A better question would be, why are you doing an approach 50 nms away and not making a landing (more than once)?

This is a rule that helps military guys who mostly take off and land at the same airport, yet can go a LONG way from that airport during that in-between time.

I just started entering my logbook into Flightlogg.in and I must say it's pretty cool.

In my paper logbook, I only note the >50nm flights in the XC column, but in the electronic one, I list all the point-to-point as XC as well. If I'm understanding the totals it's giving me, it's actually parsing the <50nm from the >50nm in the totals, which is kind of handy. I'm not totally sure yet, because I haven't finished loading everything, but it seems to be doing that.

I just started entering my logbook into Flightlogg.in and I must say it's pretty cool.

In my paper logbook, I only note the >50nm flights in the XC column, but in the electronic one, I list all the point-to-point as XC as well. If I'm understanding the totals it's giving me, it's actually parsing the <50nm from the >50nm in the totals, which is kind of handy. I'm not totally sure yet, because I haven't finished loading everything, but it seems to be doing that.

My suggestion is to just log the >50 NM as XC and it will calculate the point to point or "135" XC for you. The feature I like best is the map that shows all of your routes.

My suggestion is to just log the >50 NM as XC and it will calculate the point to point or "135" XC for you. The feature I like best is the map that shows all of your routes.

That sounds like what I'm doing. I think.

Back