ATP CFI Program

Gambinja

Hi Everybody,

I'm currently flying out of a 141 University program in Chicago, and am of Junior status there. I have my PPL w/ Instrument rating and am finishing up my Commercial training, and will be done with that after this coming Spring semester.

I am a very motivated individual, and would like to get all my ratings and certificates as fast as possible - I cannot wait to instruct (I have had the privlege of having some great instructors and cannot wait to do for others what they have done to me).

As much as I like the 141 program I'm enrolled in now, money has become an issue lately, and it has me seriously thinking of doing either an American Flyers/ATP program for my CFI,II, and MEI, with the rationale being that these programs come at a fixed cost. I know there are some additional costs to these programs, but I have come to the conclusion that this would be a better option fiscally than asking my parents for $1,000 here and there every other week for additional flight training.

My question(s) to you all...

What do you think of these CFII,II, MEI "shake and bake" programs? Are they worth it? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

For those who have been through these programs? What did you like/dislike about it? Would you recommend it to others?

I have 200TT, and would like to be ready to explore any airline opportunities that are available in late 2010, or 2011. Please spare the "there will be no opportunities for a long time" speech. I know things will be rough for awhile, but that will not stop me from doing everything that I can to be ready when the time comes that jobs are available.

Thank you for any and all input to my questions. Happy holiday season to you all!

I did the whole Pro Pilot route @ ATP and went to CFI school in Vegas. Next to military Basic Training, it was the worst experience of my life. Two weeks of hell.

That being said, would I do it again?.... YOU BET!!!

No I'm not a glutton for punishment, but I survived, got both my commercial ratings [cause I couldn't finish @ my training base prior], CFI, CFII, MEI, and even learned a few things :rolleyes: . The program works and you can't argue with success.

Just go into it prepared (academically and mentally), knowing that it's stressful and packed, but that you'll survive...and you'll be glad you did it.

Check 6,
Air Pirate out. :cool:

Show up as READY to take the oral as you can possibly be, and with your flying skills already pretty sharp on what you'll be tested on. The two weeks is not designed to teach you how to be a CFI from scratch, it's there to polish up your skills, fill in the holes in your knowledge, and sign you off.

Or you can show up having never cracked a book and roll the dice on whether or not you can learn the material fast enough...it's your $7k :)

I did the whole Pro Pilot route @ ATP and went to CFI school in Vegas. Next to military Basic Training, it was the worst experience of my life. Two weeks of hell.

That being said, would I do it again?.... YOU BET!!!

No I'm not a glutton for punishment, but I survived, got both my commercial ratings [cause I couldn't finish @ my training base prior], CFI, CFII, MEI, and even learned a few things :rolleyes: . The program works and you can't argue with success.

Just go into it prepared (academically and mentally), knowing that it's stressful and packed, but that you'll survive...and you'll be glad you did it.

Check 6,
Air Pirate out. :cool:

CFI school in Vegas was brutal for me. I was prepared for the most part and ended up being there a month due to scheduling issues. Frank V. is a prick too. Everytime you ask him a question he treats you like a piece of gum on the bottom of your shoe. My advice, be prepared prior to starting, study with a group of peers, and dry fly as much as you can.

If you have to be ready for the ride at ATP when you show up couldn't you do it cheaper at any FBO? What's the greatness of ATP? Is it just the ability to just get all three? done quickly?

Show up as READY to take the oral as you can possibly be, and with your flying skills already pretty sharp on what you'll be tested on. The two weeks is not designed to teach you how to be a CFI from scratch, it's there to polish up your skills, fill in the holes in your knowledge, and sign you off.

Or you can show up having never cracked a book and roll the dice on whether or not you can learn the material fast enough...it's your $7k :)

Clocks is right. Show up as ready as you can for the oral. This program is designed to take someone who has been flying for 2 months straight in the ACP program on to their CFIs. What that means is these guys have been flying and studying the entire time, so all they need is some polish and some experience in the right seat. The only thing new they teach you in CFI school is the FOI stuff and some regulations that pretain only to CFIs. It's very intense with a lot of studying and only 4 hours of flying. Also I would not recommend this course if you have never flown a PA-44 before. Anyways good luck getting your CFI it is the hardest but the most rewarding rating you can get.

Back