Atlas - Flight Benefits

Can anyone describe the quality of training and the washout rate?
Training is pathetic in my opinion.

The company forgot who they are hiring long ago. It used to be that applicants had to have thousands of hours, previous jet time, international experience etc etc. This allowed for the training department to throw the FCOM, FOM and all the other documentation at the newly hired and say, " figure it out." And they did, because they had the knowledge and experience to sort the important stuff from the things that could wait until later.

To get an applicant with that experience is not as common because they've moved on to different jobs. And now the applicant pool has a bit less experience and knowledge, but the training department still throws thousands of pages of materials at the new hire and still says, "figure it out."

I'm not looking down my nose at any hired pilot. But I do think a class that spoon feeds all of the information is what is needed because they are hiring people with less experience than folkswho used to apply to their first regional job. Can you imagine a 1500 pilot with no jet time, or big plane FMS knowledge feeling very confident with no direction or instruction other than a vague outline as to what your sim sessions are going to consist of?

My belief is that the training department needs to set up training like a regional carrier, but they're stuck with a mentality that the newly hired have 10,000 hours.

In this weeks news the company is now hiring those tho have completed their ATP simulator course but have not yet taken the practical. Tells you where they are at with pilot needs...

I'm not looking down my nose at any hired pilot. But I do think a class that spoon feeds all of the information is what is needed because they are hiring people with less experience than folkswho used to apply to their first regional job. Can you imagine a 1500 pilot with no jet time, or big plane FMS knowledge feeling very confident with no direction or instruction other than a vague outline as to what your sim sessions are going to consist of?

***laughs in pre 1500 hour rule captain***

Does anyone have updated info on international jumpseating? Last couple of times since COVID I was told that offline international jumspeating was "paused." I'm hoping this pause will someday end...

Back