Atlas - Agreement Reaches to Improve the Arbitrated JCBA

swakid8

Enhanced Retirement and 401(k) Match Program
  • Introduction of a new Defined Contribution Plan in addition to your 401(k) match which provides for a 2% defined contribution with a 5-year vesting period.
  • Effective for 2022, the Company 401(k) match will increase to 10% from the current 6%.
Scope
  • Elimination of the mandatory arbitration provision in the event of a merger with another airline.
Long-Term Disability
  • Implementation of a significantly enhanced Long-Term Disability (LTD) plan which provides coverage to age 65 (beyond the current two-year limit) in the event of loss of license/inability to perform services as a pilot.
New Hire Pay
  • First-year competitive pay increase.
  • $92 an hour starting rate, a shift from $1,600 per month for the first four months. In the transition, New Hire pay will not be decreased.
Ultra-Long Haul Flying
  • A provision was added related to flying over 16 hours of block time and how that flying will be compensated.
Clarifications
  • Numerous clarifications to articles 14, 24, 25, 27, 28 and 31.

Unexpected. Given our relationship with management I’ll be cautious until I read the language. I just spent the last week having our scheduling committee go to battle for me to enforce some language in our new contract that wasn’t really open to interpretation. They were successful, but it was still an unnecessary battle that was the result of a company that doesn’t like us.

We all know that 10% match/2% DC is not even close to industry standard, but, the camel's nose is in the tent now. Speaking as a 10-year 747 CA (whew, that went by fast), it's extremely beneficial to me simply due to hourly rate; for a new-hire though, it's not worth sticking around for. The hope is that the company will learn that lesson sooner than later.

The big wins? LTD and removal of amalgamation language, IMO. LTD is to age 65, which will pay 60% of earnings up to $10,000/mo, tax-free. With an additional buy-up, up to $15,000/mo.

Really, it's the DC that keeps this place from being a career airline for those near the bottom of the list. There's simply no reason to stick around Atlas if you're junior.

Back