ATL area: flying club or indie CFI referral

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Folks,

Good friend and co-worker who lives in the ATL area (Stone Mountain) has got the itch to get his PPL. He's considering buying an airplane and training in it; we've discussed many of those pros and cons. He won't have a problem with a medical, and he's financially able to do this, too.

What I suggested to him was that he maybe look at a flying club and/or a couple of FBOs at first to at least get a sense of what he might like in an airplane before making a commitment. We also talked about fractional; point being he can always buy later on if he wants to, but he doesn't totally know what he wants in a plane yet - the mission would be mostly solo, occasional passengers with luggage (golf clubs) shuttling between ATL and TPA areas.

In any case, I'd certainly appreciate some suggestions or recommendations for primary training. He doesn't need a super-modern all-glass fleet (I'm actually trying to discourage him from that but he may go that route if he buys an airplane of similar type - unlikely though given the costs) - what he will need is quality instruction first. I don't know the area so I'm asking the JC braintrust.

I did some primary training in a bonanza.. Insurance was the biggest hassle but it worked out. That may be a decent choice for him

Maybe I was ambiguous in the original post. I am looking for a referral to a flying club or an independent flight instructor, not for suggestions on aircraft.

Back