Atc questions

wzgrza

Hey guys. I am a pilot with a U.S Regional and have some ATC questions.

There is a chance that in the future I may be looking to do ATC in a foreign country and had some questions.

How long does schooling to become a controller usually take? How long would it take for me already being a pilot, knowing the lingo, the navigation, etc. etc. Would that be an advantage? Big, small?

On a 0-100% scale, as a pilot, roughly how much of the required knowledge to do ATC do I already have? (in case you havent noticed I am hoping that what I know about flying will be a big advantage as opposed to starting from scratch like some guys do, hehe) how much new stuff from that scale would I have to learn?

What do they look for when hiring someone as a ATC?

Are there any controllers from Europe on this board, or people who know about European ATC? Pay? Application/selection process?

I am pretty clueless about all this, and any info would be good. If anyone has any links or article, or feels like telling me about a typical day of an ATC guy that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot guys for any replies/help. Much appreciate it. :)

Prino

There is a chance that in the future I may be looking to do ATC in a foreign country and had some questions.

How long does schooling to become a controller usually take? How long would it take for me already being a pilot, knowing the lingo, the navigation, etc. etc. Would that be an advantage? Big, small?

On a 0-100% scale, as a pilot, roughly how much of the required knowledge to do ATC do I already have? (in case you havent noticed I am hoping that what I know about flying will be a big advantage as opposed to starting from scratch like some guys do, hehe) how much new stuff from that scale would I have to learn?

What do they look for when hiring someone as a ATC?

Are there any controllers from Europe on this board, or people who know about European ATC? Pay? Application/selection process?

I am pretty clueless about all this, and any info would be good. If anyone has any links or article, or feels like telling me about a typical day of an ATC guy that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot guys for any replies/help. Much appreciate it. :)
i dont know that much about what goes on in European countries with respect to atc, but i know its pretty much contracted out to outside companies, as opposed to the US side of things where (most) controllers work for the government. You will probably need a work visa, maybe even citizenship for that country. here in the states if you want to get into a contract tower you generally have to have a cto (certified tower operator) certificate for at least a year (which generally takes about 6 months to get). i dont know what your particular situation is like but it would probably be easier for you to just be a pilot in whatever country you want to live in. there are quite a few controllers who havent even flown in a general aviation airplane, so just because you are a pilot doesnt mean you will fall right into being a controller, however knowing the phraseology is very important. im curious why youd want to be a controller overseas rather than here, or jump from being a pilot to controller. good luck

ps, european atc pay isnt any better than their us counterparts, last time i heard (pre IWR) it was worse. and remember that most european countries have substantially higher tax rates than the US

LawnGnome

There are at least three people you could talk to about European ATC on my forum....I know this guy is a brit Rogervisual and this one is a Macedonian: ATC@LWSK and this guy is somewhere over there too: Wolffang

Here is a thread I believe they both chimed in about European ATC....Hope this helps.

European ATC

wzgrza

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I do have EU citizenship so that would not be a problem. One of my goals is to eventually move back to my home country where I hear they are a little short on ATC guys. I also hear the pay is pretty attractive. I would prefer to fly vs. ATC but the move back home is really crucial for me. To do that and fly there I would have to convert my licenses which is expensive, and with the money I am making here, it is near impossible to save that much as I almost qualify for food stamps. If the ATC pays well then I might make twice what I do here, so I would be able to save up for the conversion as well as get rid of some debt.. then jump back in it. I would plan it on being a temporary thing, a few years maybe.. but who knows, maybe I would like it more.

Lawngnome, thanks for that site, I will check it out. :)

LawnGnome

I've been very busy getting ready to move into our house in two weeks, work, kids, wife, web design...doesn't leave too much time for anything else....take care!