ATC initial training awarded to Raytheon

menglish1

FAA Awards Controller Training Contract to Raytheon

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today awarded a $437 million contract to Raytheon to support the agency in training air traffic controllers.
“This is a performance-based contract that is designed to allow us to train controllers better, faster and cheaper,” said Robert A. Sturgell, the FAA’s acting administrator. “It holds Raytheon accountable for meeting our stringent training requirements and offers incentives for improving the quality of training while lowering the overall time and cost.”
The 10-year award to Raytheon will replace separate contracts to support initial training at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City and to support ongoing training in air traffic facilities nationwide. The consolidation into a single contract will give Raytheon the ability to support the entire lifecycle of controller training. This in turn will allow the FAA to provide more integrated training activities throughout a controller’s career.
The FAA also has the flexibility to update the training to adapt to ongoing changes in technology, aviation procedures and operations that will impact the way controllers handle air traffic in the future.
Under the terms of the contract, Raytheon will be responsible for helping the FAA train controllers from the time they’re hired and throughout their career. This includes conducting resident Academy qualification and specialized training, supporting classroom and simulation training in the field, developing and maintaining training materials, and providing administrative support for training at the Academy and in the field.
The FAA will continue to be responsible for managing the overall training program, recruiting and hiring candidates, conducting performance verification, on-the-job training and credentialing.

- anybody have an idea how this will affect the students at OKC

Shouldn't affect them one bit.
The contract pilots and instructors though, it might. Pay raise/cut? Finally some benefits? A pseudo pilot just sent me a text saying there were rumors going around today that initial en-route training might be leaving OKC and doing on-site training only. Who knows, but I think you're right, it shouldn't affect the students at all anytime soon.

The contract pilots and instructors though, it might. Pay raise/cut? Finally some benefits? A pseudo pilot just sent me a text saying there were rumors going around today that initial en-route training might be leaving OKC and doing on-site training only. Who knows, but I think you're right, it shouldn't affect the students at all anytime soon.

Why don't they just set it up where we can all work from home, save on overhead.. ;)

So I just got off the phone with a certain enroute facility (betcha can't guess which one). Maybe I should have realized this but it looks like the facility training depts are moving to Raytheon as well, they are reapplying for their positions next week.

Any else know about this or was I the only one that thought it affected contractors in OKC.

From what I understand, they're basically keeping their jobs, but they have to reapply, as a technicallity. Who really knows. One thing is for sure, most of the instructors are very good, so for them it probably won't be too much of a problem.

I've also heard that Raytheon is having job fairs and the such soon...

From what I understand the instructors end up with a pay cut. They don't have overtime anymore it's just normal rate. They don't have shift differential. They are giving the people that just come and sit in between us while we run problems a raise. The general consensus that I gathered is "solidarity, they can't fire all of us".

Maybe if the don't sign I can just go home and train because I really don't see the gov paying us per diem and such just to sit at home.

Back