Asiana officially blames crew for flt 214...and the autothrottle.

What the report actually said was that the test pilots had a trouble landing from the high energy state Asiana was in without exceeding stable approach parameters. None of them had trouble landing.
Not so. The stable approach issue has nothing to do with crashing the plane. It just made the approach unstable. That is all. The issue is they crashed a plane on a vfr day because they chose not to override the automation. Here is the two-paragraph quote I was referring to:
"However, the airline also said "inconsistencies" in the Boeing 777-200ER's autothrottle contributed to the crash. The airline's positions submitted earlier this month were part of hundreds of pages of documents the National Transportation Safety Board will consider while investigating the crash that killed three passengers and injured more than 200.

Asiana said the plane's navigation equipment "led the crew to believe that the autothrottle was maintaining the airspeed set by the crew" and instead the equipment "disabled the aircraft's minimum airspeed protection." The airline also said test pilots had trouble landing under the same conditions in simulators."
I stand by my statement. Who cares if they were high? High speed, high altitude, high energy? I am high on approach half the time! If the autopilot can't handle it, I disconnect and hand fly. It was a beautiful sunny day. Any pilot that can't override the autopilot and hand-fly needs to hang up his wings. I'll stand by my mockery of one of the most epic fails in recent history because the high energy state had nothing to do with a crew flying a 777 into the sea wall. Fly the plane people!!!
I was high on my very first approach ever in a jet. Know what I did? I got out the boards, flaps, gear, and more flaps. Then I got a little slow. The check airman then taught me this cool little trick: THRUST. Worked like a charm. Here's your sign Asiana.
Rant over. Have a nice day :)

Not so. The stable approach issue has nothing to do with crashing the plane. It just made the approach unstable. That is all. The issue is they crashed a plane on a vfr day because they chose not to override the automation. Here is the two-paragraph quote I was referring to:
"However, the airline also said "inconsistencies" in the Boeing 777-200ER's autothrottle contributed to the crash. The airline's positions submitted earlier this month were part of hundreds of pages of documents the National Transportation Safety Board will consider while investigating the crash that killed three passengers and injured more than 200.

Asiana said the plane's navigation equipment "led the crew to believe that the autothrottle was maintaining the airspeed set by the crew" and instead the equipment "disabled the aircraft's minimum airspeed protection." The airline also said test pilots had trouble landing under the same conditions in simulators."
I stand by my statement. Who cares if they were high? High speed, high altitude, high energy? I am high on approach half the time! If the autopilot can't handle it, I disconnect and hand fly. It was a beautiful sunny day. Any pilot that can't override the autopilot and hand-fly needs to hang up his wings. I'll stand by my mockery of one of the most epic fails in recent history because the high energy state had nothing to do with a crew flying a 777 into the sea wall. Fly the plane people!!!
I was high on my very first approach ever in a jet. Know what I did? I got out the boards, flaps, gear, and more flaps. Then I got a little slow. The check airman then taught me this cool little trick: THRUST. Worked like a charm. Here's your sign Asiana.
I think you may have missed what @Jimflyfast was talking about. He's saying the Asiana crew had themselves in a position that would have been difficult to remain within the stable approach criteria, even with the gear/boards/flaps.

I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to anyone (I'm not), but you're also flying an aircraft that's a lot more forgiving in that respect than a heavy jet.

I think you may have missed what @Jimflyfast was talking about. He's saying the Asiana crew had themselves in a position that would have been difficult to remain within the stable approach criteria, even with the gear/boards/flaps.

I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to anyone (I'm not), but you're also flying an aircraft that's a lot more forgiving in that respect than a heavy jet.

Can't overstate that enough! Someone needs to go read what I wrote earlier in this thread!

I like the fact that some of you guys hand fly as much as possible. It makes me feel much better about working you guys and flying with you all versus just sitting there and relying on a computer to be correct.

I'm all for doing some of that pilot crap to "fix" a bad situation...to a point. Once you're inside the company's stable approach window, there's no more fixing. There's only going around. We (as an industry) are TERRIBLE about ignoring stabilized approach criteria.

Many landing accidents have something unstable below 1000 feet.

Anyway. I get your point.

Back