Article discussing need for medical reform

ozone

This sounds like a slight improvement in the policy, but the linked article points out the ongoing, and glaring, systemic flaws with the current system.

I’m just a GA pilot, but I know of several young aspiring pilots who’ve been caught up in the aeromedical system to the tune of $1000’s for what appear to be no good reasons. I wonder if your various alphabet-soup professional organizations have gotten anywhere with trying to reform the AME system.

Link: The Madness in our Methods: The crash of Germanwings flight 9525 and our broken aeromedical system

It needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch. The biggest issue is the “1% standard” that’s great for common/well-studied conditions. It’s the FAA’s justification for saying no until it’s more difficult to say no than yes. I had a bacterial infection that cleared completely after getting juiced up with antibiotics in the hospital for a few days. But because a symptom of CNS Lyme Disease is Bell’s Palsy I got lumped into the “neurological symptoms” bucket and ended up in FAA hell. I think at a minimum the quacks in OKC need to pass a 1st class every six months to keep their job. It’s only fair.

Bells palsy didnt affect a class 1 issuance I’m aware of.

also unsure how mental health in Europe which has strong privacy laws affects the FAA system.

that said I’ve done 2 medical flight tests. maybe those are for more open and shut conditions.

alex.

Back