Art Fib and My Medical

MD-11Loader

I got a second class medical in 2006, which is now a third class. I am going to try to get a first class, but have been diagnosed as having art fib. About three weeks ago I decided it was finally time to get my blood pressure under control (it was 188 over 90). Today it is 135 over 80 and I am feeling much better. I was also diagnosed as having art fib. If I am on a beta blocker (which will be perscribed Wednesday) will I have any issues obtaining my first class medical? Secondly, how long does it usually take for medication to correct something like art fib? Thanks in advance.

I have had several bouts of a fib it does not usally correct itself with the beta blockers(mine didn't), I had cardioversion(electric shock).

I had my doctor do a full writeup and all kinds of tests after my cardioversion and sent all that in. I have a second class, Once you get that taken care of next time and are issued your medical(hopefully you won't have it anymore) when you do your next medical after that you don't have to disclose it anymore unless you are still in AFIB

I would consult a good AMA prior to applying for your medical-they can direct you the correct way to go, but it is not a disqualifying thing, unless it is associated with something bad.

P.S. Stay away from the energy drinks

MFS,

Have you ever heard of someone being denied a medical (for ATC or otherwise) for use of a beta blocker under that "special review?" Mine's just for mild (well controlled) hypertension.

Greetings -

How do the energy drinks relate?

I you are going in for the ATC medical, should you lay off the energy drinks for a couple of days? Do they have a chance to upset the EKG and BP readouts?

Also, kind of on that same topic, if someone is a smoker.....
should they avoid nicotine prior to a ATC med exam for a certain timeframe? or is it possible that the nicotine withdrawl would be even worse?

Sorry, now that is was brought up I figured I would ask...

Thanks,

Energy drinks can increase pulse rate and blood pressure. Stay off then for at least a week before the medical.

Smoking - QUIT!

Understand doc, thank you.

But if someone was a "social" smoker.....I would imagine its best to stay off nicotine as close to the EKG and BP check as personally possible, right?

Understand doc, thank you.

But if someone was a "social" smoker.....I would imagine its best to stay off nicotine as close to the EKG and BP check as personally possible, right?

Thanks again for the quick reply

I have PAF (paroxysmal atrial fibrillation). I too take a Beta blocker, atenolol. Atenolol is on the FAA approved medicine list for Hypertension not for A-Fib. A special issuance is required for me. I have to wear a Holter monitor every year and have my cardiologist write a letter summary of my current condition and that I am healthy enough to fly.
The 1st time is a drag but once you get to know the system it is a piece of cake.
Stay away from all caffeine, smoking and stress during the Holter and for the 1st class EKG. Try not to sleep on your left side with the Holter as well, that sometimes triggers AF for me.
Good luck.

Back