Around the ramp at the home field, MZJ

You know who doesn't have a 1,500 hour rule for FOs?

I can't say that I know anything super specific (because I don't) - but I do spend a lot of time talking to network planners for a living.

Kinds of 14 CFR 135 Certificate Operating Authorities
Another important consideration when starting the certification process is for the applicant to determine the kind of operations that they wish to conduct. 14 CFR 135 certificate holders can conduct On-demand operations, which may include limited scheduled operations, or Scheduled (Commuter) operations, which allow unlimited scheduled operations as well as On-demand operations. Each kind of operation, On-demand or Commuter, has specific limitations associated with them. These include the number of passenger seats that can be installed on the aircraft, maximum payload limits, and whether turbo-jet aircraft can be used in that kind of operation.

1. On-demand
  2. On-demand operations can be conducted in airplanes that have a passenger seating configuration of 30 seats or less, a maximum payload capacity of 7500 pounds, or in any rotorcraft.

This part will make it a little bit more restrictive.

On-demand certificate holders can also conduct limited scheduled operations with the following additional restrictions:
Less than 5 round trips per week on at least one route between two or more points according to published flight schedules,
No turbo-jet airplanes can be used, and
Airplanes are limited to a maximum passenger seating configuration of 9 seats or less.

Never mind, I just saw the part 380 framework info that allows this.

Last edited:
Somebody should start one. At Kingman, too. Some desert rat with inside access could make pretty good beer money once in a while.

Is there any way to get a tour around MZJ?
Back in the olden times as coworkers working line service second shift there was a small group of us (properly certificated) that would pool our money and set off on late night/early morning adventures (the FBO was fully aware of us renting their airplanes in the middle of the night and as long as we paid the bill and brought the plane home undamaged they were happy) and we'd fly all over Southern California. Occasionally we'd fly up to Mojave, we worked at Burbank servicing small jets and seeing constant 737s and MD-80s so the chance to get up close to "big" airplanes was exciting. We'd fly up there, land and park directly beneath the tower. And then we'd make a stealthy beeline for the storage area where the big iron was parked. Occasionally security would make a half hearted attempt to go looking for us but our uniform was normally a company provided grey hoodie, all you really needed to do was stand really still right next to some landing gear and you might've been wearing a ghillie suit. We weren't trying to cause any damage or any trouble for anyone, we were just exploring. I do recall an approach at Ontario one night in a 172 with all of the runway lights turned up to max, that'll make your head spin for a second if your not accustomed to it, and it was a touch and go at 2am. I can't imagine those sorts of hijinks are even possible anymore but we had a lot of fun...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngGIw5ONWE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I

Back