Army Aviation fixed wing

tmaca

This IS sort of late in the game, but...... if your goal is to get a fixed wing license, there IS a trick, sort of. You don't even need to go through Rotary Wing School. But it won't be free, just cheap. Some Army bases have fixed wing airfields that aren'r strictly limited to military aircraft. And some of those have flying clubs, where instuction is a fraction of what it would cost anywhere else. I started at Ft. Sill in 1981. The club had use of Post Army Air Field, and hanger space either free or for next to nothing, I forget which. Except for an old Army T-41 (Cessna 172) that the club had somehow gotten ownership of and used for high power instruction, The aircraft were owned by members . The owners of the planes essentially gave the club the use of the planes in return for no psarking fees and the club keeping all the maintenance current. And there were club members with A&P tickets. The only drawback to flying out of Ft. Sill was that AF trainees out of Sheppard AFB used the field for touch and gos. I think it was about my 4th time in the air, just turned on final, when the control tower told me to "make a low approach". So I gave them a "low approach, Roger" then looked at my instructor and said, "Huh?", not having any idea what it was they meant. He said "It means you've got a Tweet (USAF T37 jet trainer) on your ass coming in for a touch and go. Go to full throttle, maintain altitude, and get the H--- out of the way by flying straight down the runway, then turning back into your downwind leg. It's Army control talk for go around." That didn't happen a lot, but when it did it was a pain. At the Ft. Sill club I could have gone as far as an instrument ticket and high performance land for a fraction of what it would have cost at a normal flying school. I got sent to Heidelberg a few months later, and continued on when I found a military flying club at Coleman Army Airfield in Mannheim. I don't remember what I paid back then but I do remember it was an hourly wet rate that was about 2/3 what any civilian dry rate was, and the instructor was, pretty much, free, instuctor rated club members doing it for a combination of liking it and piling up free flight hours. Basically a non-profit flight school, with really low overhead and even, if I'm remembering right, cheap fuel from the Army because they were offficially a MWR activity. They had no investment in aircraft (except that T41 probably cost something originally, but I doubt it was much), low fuel costs, low maintenance costs, no payments to the airfield, and just about no other overhead. So hourly rates, either or for instruction or rentals, were incredibly cheap.

So that's the only "trick" there is, really. You'd have to find a military flying club, where you can get trained on the super cheap. And if you do, I've heard that there's a way to use GI Bill benefits even before ETS, which could make it essentially free. I'd been out from '70 to '79, and my GI Bil, such as it was for Vietnam vets, was within just a few months of expiration date when the 10 year clock stopped because I reenlisted in Oct. '79. So knowing I didn't have much eligibility left anyway, I never actually looked into it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get into fixed wing Army training short of going through rotary wing and then being selected for fixed wing. And the odds for that are incredibly bad.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any Army flying clubs left. If so, few and far between. Even Air Force flying clubs are being shut down.

^ That

Plus I caught wind that they boosted the amount GI and Post 9/11 would cover for flight training in addition to covering type ratings. I did some research for some fellow comrades as well as myself and found that all military flying clubs I attempted to contact are defunct. Some had been defunct for 10+ years and yet the .gov website lists them as active. Well then I looked into a fully funded Private through Multi Com for some of my fellow rotary aviators. The convoluted flaming hoops involved with those programs were daunting. Only programs approved and available I was able to dig up were full time 4+ year programs and some of the fine print from the government side states they only pick up a percentage of the tab AFTER a Private is earned. Not exactly doable for guys still active and pretty unnecessary considering the amount of training and additional education nearly all of us have just to become aviators.

Lastly I checked into the rumor that GI money could be applied towards type ratings. Was figuring if Uncle Sam would pick up the bill for a 737 type rating or something along those lines, why not? Well the only places I was able to contact or contacted me back wanted nothing to do with GI. It had nothing to do with the soldiers, but everything to do with the program. Was able to have an open and frank discussion with one helpful guy and it all boils down it just isn't worth the headache. Issues ranging from not enough people utilizing the GI Bill to make it worth it, to having to spend over 2 years hounding the government to get paid for the students they did train. So long short short - I have yet to know anyone first hand who's successfully utilized GI monies for flight training or even expanding their qualifications.

It's like most things involved with the military / government - don't believe anything you read on the colorful brochure. Don't even believe things you've heard from a friend of a friend. You have to experience the circus yourself to fully appreciate it.

image.jpg

Didn't the Marines fly them recently putting bombs on bad guys, in Iraq?

You're thinking of the OV-10 Bronco.

They flew it up into the mid 90s (including disastrous deployment in Desert Storm) and then mothballed them. Most of the AF and Marine inventories were sold through FMS programs to countries in Asia and South America or given over to Cal Fire.

Boeing put together a modernized OV-10X program as part of the light turbo prop attack requirement that the AF and SOF pushed forward and a few of them as well as A-29s did short combat deployments to validate the concept.

The OV-1 started life as a multi mode recon plane where it had a series of pods that could do signals and image Intel collection. They had a short period where they carried bombs and marking rockets for a light strike capability but the AF screamed "Key West Agreement!" until that got killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a real fun rando history lesson.

The Army wanted the quietest night time aircraft they could get for low low altitude recon of the Ho Chi Mihn trail. Enter the Lockheed YO-3.

It's tested noise level is actually quieter at 300 feet than a car driving by you from the same distance and was undetectable at 1200agl. It had one of the first FLIR pods mounted for searching in the jungle in the dark.

fac1ec361ba1577f053b3555fd00fdc4.jpg

Last edited:

The Army wanted the quietest night time aircraft they could get for low low altitude recon of the Ho Chi Mihn trail. Enter the Lockheed YO-3.

It's tested noise level is actually quieter at 300 feet than a car driving by you from the same distance and was undetectable at 1200agl. It had one of the first FLIR pods mounted for searching in the jungle in the dark.

I saw a re-engined one in Mexico. I'm fairly certain anyway...

I saw a re-engined one in Mexico. I'm fairly certain anyway...

They all got sold off after use due to the war winding down.

NASA had a couple and the FBI flew them as well as a few states to hunt poachers. Most common change was the prop going to a fixed pitch 3 blade just to simplify maintenance.

Nice. My dad flew them in Vietnam. When they would take off they'd do a flyby to make sure the muffler system was working properly before they continued on. The program was cancelled in '71 and he switched over to U-21s.

Last edited:
Nice. My dad flew them in Vietnam. When they would take off they'd do a flyby to make sure the muffler system was working properly before they continued on. The program was cancelled in '71 and he switched over to c-12s.

Very cool. Small aviation world that's for sure.

Back