Army Active Duty RW to USAR FW

Xponent

Howdy, this is my first post but seeing if there’s any advice to be had or networking to do here.

I’m a CW2 AH-64D/E pilot with about 2 years left on my Active Duty ADSO. I estimate I’ll have 900-1000 hours at the end of it. I’m currently a tracked PC (Safety) and scheduled to dual track to MTP later this year.

I’ve been exploring different options post-ADSO and USAR FW is near the top of my list. I have a couple connections that I’m working on getting in touch with but if there is anyone here that can shed some light on the process of transitioning or has some advice I would love to have a discussion.

I’m open to the Guard as well and living most places in the States, preferably the Southeast or out West (Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with y'all!

Howdy, this is my first post but seeing if there’s any advice to be had or networking to do here.

I’m a CW2 AH-64D/E pilot with about 2 years left on my Active Duty ADSO. I estimate I’ll have 900-1000 hours at the end of it. I’m currently a tracked PC (Safety) and scheduled to dual track to MTP later this year.

I’ve been exploring different options post-ADSO and USAR FW is near the top of my list. I have a couple connections that I’m working on getting in touch with but if there is anyone here that can shed some light on the process of transitioning or has some advice I would love to have a discussion.

I’m open to the Guard as well and living most places in the States, preferably the Southeast or out West (Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with y'all!
Welcome to JC.

Just to confirm, your primary goal is USAR FW or NG FW? What about full-time employment?

Regardless, step one is to join the FB group RTAG. They have a ton or folks with your experience who have made jumps to various places.

I can’t speak to the reserves, but for the guard reach out to the officer strength manager for the state(s) you’re interested in. Their contact info is available online. Additionally if you have buddies in the units, do a tour and get a meeting with the SAAO. Keep in mind though getting a FW slot won’t happen immediately. They are few and far between and they’re going to want to see you perform for a while before getting you a slot if one happens to open up.

Let us know if you have any more questions. There are a handful of former/current army pilots here.

Welcome to JC.

Just to confirm, your primary goal is USAR FW or NG FW? What about full-time employment?

Regardless, step one is to join the FB group RTAG. They have a ton or folks with your experience who have made jumps to various places.

I can’t speak to the reserves, but for the guard reach out to the officer strength manager for the state(s) you’re interested in. Their contact info is available online. Additionally if you have buddies in the units, do a tour and get a meeting with the SAAO. Keep in mind though getting a FW slot won’t happen immediately. They are few and far between and they’re going to want to see you perform for a while before getting you a slot if one happens to open up.

Let us know if you have any more questions. There are a handful of former/current army pilots here.
Hey there, thanks for responding!

The primary goal is reserves since that should offer the best opportunity to move states if I ever need and from what I hear would be an easier transition.

I’ve been on RTAG for years and good point!...I should give that a look as well. Just wanted to post on here as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Line is long for the one-airplane C-12 Det that hauls the TAG around, here in AZ. The number of Apache and Hawk guys vying for it is big. And both get miffed if the Lakota/former -58 peeps try getting it. Kind of funny to see.

The Army, only place where the C-12 is treated as if it’s a space shuttle. 🤣

Line is long for the one-airplane C-12 Det that hauls the TAG around, here in AZ. The number of Apache and Hawk guys vying for it is big. And both get miffed if the Lakota/former -58 peeps try getting it. Kind of funny to see.

The Army, only place where the C-12 is treated as if it’s a space shuttle. 🤣
lolol you’re absolutely right. Its the bottom of the class in the air force and the SR-71 over here. Worth a shot I suppose

lolol you’re absolutely right. Its the bottom of the class in the air force and the SR-71 over here. Worth a shot I suppose

It’s absolutely worth a shot, I’d definitely pursue it. Aside from my quippy joke, any additional ratings or flight time you can accrue, especially multi turboprop time, is well worth pursuing for someone in your position and can only help you along in your aviation career desires, not hurt you. Just my 2 cents.

Back