Approach Question

Reigleite

I am working back from a lengthy flying hiatus and one thing that I'm doing is looking at random approach plates and mentally flying them. I came across the VOR/DME Rwy 23 approach for KDYL and I have a question about approaches that contains an IAF other than the NAVAID used for the approach. In this case, GROOM is an IAF but how does one legally get to GROOM since it's not part of any en route structure (I checked the en route chart for that area)? I'm sorry to be so simple minded but I just want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Thanks in advance.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1608/05609VD23.PDF

Looks to me like it's a typo... Should be the FAF?

The approach window in the lower right has 4.9 mm from FAF and GROOM is the 4.9 nm fix.

Looks to me like it's a typo... Should be the FAF?

The approach window in the lower right has 4.9 mm from FAF and GROOM is the 4.9 nm fix.
It looks like it is the IAF and FAF. If you do the holding pattern (as procedure turn) it will switch to FAF when you're inbound on the approach.

GROOM is shown as the IAF in the plan view of the Jepp chart as well, but also has the Maltese cross for the FAF in the profile view, like @tcco94 said, GROOM can be the IAF if doing the hold in lieu of procedure turn.

image.png

I am working back from a lengthy flying hiatus and one thing that I'm doing is looking at random approach plates and mentally flying them. I came across the VOR/DME Rwy 23 approach for KDYL and I have a question about approaches that contains an IAF other than the NAVAID used for the approach. In this case, GROOM is an IAF but how does one legally get to GROOM since it's not part of any en route structure (I checked the en route chart for that area)? I'm sorry to be so simple minded but I just want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Thanks in advance.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1608/05609VD23.PDF

You mean like getting cleared to the fix from any random position in space? Using a VOR/DME point-to-point would be the ticket to getting there. Frustrating the first few times you do it followed by pleasure when you nail it (giggity). Or you can put the fix in the GPS and fly to it that way. Or there are radar vectors to final if you're feeling exceptionally lazy.

You mean like getting cleared to the fix from any random position in space? Using a VOR/DME point-to-point would be the ticket to getting there. Frustrating the first few times you do it followed by pleasure when you nail it (giggity). Or you can put the fix in the GPS and fly to it that way. Or there are radar vectors to final if you're feeling exceptionally lazy.

This is mainly what I was looking for. If I'm approaching from the west I certainly don't want to fly out to SBJ to execute the approach and was just curious what was legal in terms of using the other IAF.

Like flyinthrew said, ATC can clear you direct to Groom coming from any direction if your aircraft is /G equipped. Or you could request Groom as the fix to which you want to start the approach, and ATC more than likely will clear you direct. Most likely though, ATC will vector you to the final approach course, which in that case groom becomes the FAF. If your flying on an airway and the SBJ vortac lies on your route, and ATC clears you for approach, you begin the approach at SBJ vortac

This is mainly what I was looking for. If I'm approaching from the west I certainly don't want to fly out to SBJ to execute the approach and was just curious what was legal in terms of using the other IAF.
What do you mean legal in terms? Like legal if you were doing this by yourself or talking to ATC? There's many ways you could request this with ATC and be "legal". If you're talking about radar vectors they'll most likely position you between the IF and FAF

I'm confused if you're asking a scenario based question or everyway to shoot this approach.

As others said, you could be cleared direct to GROOM if you are /G. But since you are coming back, let's try a broader view that you can bring to your next random approach. I am assuming no vectors to the final approach course,

There are tw basic requirements for doing anything under IFR in controlled airspace: (1) an ATC instruction to do it; (2) the approved equipment than enables you to navigate it.

In the normal course of events (i.e., not an emergency), at a nontowered destination, unless there are significant traffic issues, ATC will expect you to tell them which approach you prefer and how you choose to get there.

For KDYL, I actually have three choices. SBJ VOR, GROOM (the IAF) and FLING (the IF*). All SBJ requires is an VOR receiver. The other two require equipment that will permit you to navigate directly to a point in space. For most of us that means GPS. Also, GROOM has a mandatory HILO if I use it as the IAF*.

So, applying both requirements, I ask for the one that makes the most sense to me based on my direction of flight toward KDYL.

That's the "legal."

(*since it's has been a while, you may be unfamiliar with IFs (Initial Fixes), so read up on them in the AIM, or better yet, the FAA's Instrument Procedures Handbook. You will also want to read up on when it might be permissible to go direct to an FAA and avoid the procedure turn since it has undergone a number of changes in the past few years)

Back