Approach Clearance

CFIse

Re-posted from the ProPilot forum as it was suggested I'd get a more informed response here.

Thanks

Class B airport - very busy. You've been descended to 2500 feet and cleared to join the localizer (but not cleared for the approach). Approach forgets about you (probably) and the frequency is so busy you can't get a word in. You've reached the FAF. What do you do?

The crux of the question is do you need an approach clearance to leave 2500 feet (I believe you do) and can the tower controller give you such a clearance?

Thanks

Re-posted from the ProPilot forum as it was suggested I'd get a more informed response here.

Thanks

Class B airport - very busy. You've been descended to 2500 feet and cleared to join the localizer (but not cleared for the approach). Approach forgets about you (probably) and the frequency is so busy you can't get a word in. You've reached the FAF. What do you do?

The crux of the question is do you need an approach clearance to leave 2500 feet (I believe you do) and can the tower controller give you such a clearance?

Thanks

OOOh, that's a good one. It's always tough to recommend the 'best' course of action in this scenario, as there are always so many variables at play. Yes, you would need the clearance to descend. The problem is getting the clearance when the freq is busy non-stop. It's almost like the lesser of two evils. Leave approach freq without approval? Descend without approval (definitely the worst choice). Just keep on flying without descending hoping someone notices.

The first part that should be addressed is the Tower approval to descend. 99% of the time, they will be able to give you that once they coordinate with approach. If you switch to tower and say "Hey, I am inbound from ____ and never got the clearance from approach," Tower should be able to shout to approach "Request control of NWA123" and they just shout back "Approved." This gives the tower controller authority to do all sorts of stuff with you. Nothing creative and funky, but definitely the descent, so don't worry about that. It happens and I usually don't like having someone inside the FAF not talking to me, but if there's nothing going on at the runway, it's not the end of the world for me. Tower controllers know you're coming and might even be calling approach if you get inside the FAF saying "Hey, can I have that guy 4 mile final please." Meaning, give me comms please.....dummy.

I'd personally go to tower, monitor approach, and explain what's going on so they can help the situation instead of watching you pass over the field at 2500'.

If you switch to tower and say "Hey, I am inbound from ____ and never got the clearance from approach," Tower should be able to shout to approach "Request control of NWA123" and they just shout back "Approved." This gives the tower controller authority to do all sorts of stuff with you.

Does the tower have to have radar? Does a non-radar tower even KNOW that an arrival is coming?

OOOh, that's a good one. It's always tough to recommend the 'best' course of action in this scenario, as there are always so many variables at play. Yes, you would need the clearance to descend.

Well that's what we did - went to tower and told him we needed an approach clearance for the runway, and after a slight pause he gave it to us and then gave us the landing clearance.

I wouldn't say it happens a lot, but more often than you'd like we don't get shipped to the tower (and I'm sure a few times in there we DID get shipped but didn't figure it out, but it's not ALWAYS us :-).

Thanks for the response.

Does the tower have to have radar? Does a non-radar tower even KNOW that an arrival is coming?

No, the tower doesn't have to have radar to do that. So many towers have STARS or a DBrite, so they can see what's out there, although you can't use it for controlling aircraft. It's a reference tool. Also, a lot of smaller towers have a computer that kicks out arrival strips, so that also gives a heads up that aircraft are inbound. Non-radar towers get inbound calls from approach/center. They have to give inbound calls on all IFR arrivals.

Basically, the tower calls approach and asks for control of the arrival. Approach wil verify there's nothing between the aircraft and the tower and either ask the tower controller to deliver the apch clearance or just say "your control."

That slight pause was probably the controller calling approach.

Back