Applying to Physician Assistant schools

hotice

With 3000 hr, and 3 layoffs under my belt, the last of which was this last fall, I have decided to change careers so that I can have a better QOL. I have spent the last two semesters fulfilling the requirements for PA school. I am about to hit submit on my Physician Assistant application. I have loved flying, but need something better for my family. No thank you to going to working for an airline for 23K a year and never being home. Once upon a time I wanted to fly for an airline. That was my dream. But now that I am married and have a little boy, I don't want to miss him growing up. After I graduate for PA school, I plan on flight instructing on the side to feed my flying addiction.

Seems like the 3rd times a charm. I'm in almost the exact same boat except for the PA part. 3 layoffs, last one was 6 months ago and I couldn't be happier. Just had a little boy too. Flying is awesome. As a career it seriously sucks. Good luck to ya man.

Good luck.
How old are you? Why did you decide PA instead of MD?
I'm not knocking PA, just curious that's all. Besides you're probably going to be asked that question during your interview for PA school.

Good luck! I think that is a brilliant move (as long as you like the idea of being a PA).

funny, i changed my major from Pre-PA to Av. Mgmt+Flight. a girl i work with told me to only do PA if i want it 100%. she dropped PA for Med Laboratory however. i picked flight cause thats what i wanted 100%. maybe plan A later if i develop distaste for flight lol

I am 33 almost 34. I chose PA over MD because it is about a 27 month program vs. 4 years + residency. PA is a second career for a lot of people. I am not worried about the MD vs. PA question. If the right flying job came along I would take it. I have flown for the airlines, 135 cargo, and Charter. I know what flying job I would want.

which school did you apply to? did you get in? I'm at SIU and they have a pretty good PA school here. I got my MLT from the military so PA woulnt be a huge jump for me. How many prereqs. did you have to do?

I am applying to the University of Utah and ATSU, and a few others in the spring. I might not get in this cycle because i just finished the prereqs for those school, and they go on a rolling basis. I have a few more prereqs to take for some other programs. I am very confident that I will get in somewhere. The prereqs very from school to school but most include an anatomy, physiology, microbiology or another biology class, chemistry 1&2 and some want organic and biochemitry, stats, psychology, and GRE.

I've toyed with the idea of switching major to pre PA and keeping flight as a minor but it'll push my graduation date by a year at this point. I may pick it up in the future b/c like you said, no great pay or stability. Thanks for the info and Keep us updated.

I've toyed with the idea of switching major to pre PA and keeping flight as a minor but it'll push my graduation date by a year at this point. I may pick it up in the future b/c like you said, no great pay or stability. Thanks for the info and Keep us updated.
I wouln't wait for later. So what if it pushes graduation back one year. You still have to build that flight time instructing, you might as well be doing school too. Besides once you graduate with a B.S., there are no more grands with your name on it, only loans.

Back